Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New scope time

Re: New scope time

On 24hrCampfire I asked about a "Good and Affordable 3x9" I got three or four pages of Burris Full Field II . It was unanimous except for one poster who said Leupold.However, the next poster said he asked for good. Unfortunately, it's a discontinued model. It was made in the Philippines, the replacement Fullfield IV is made in China. Burris tends to be pricier in Canada than the States as well. When faced with a double requirement , I found a couple of NOS Bushnells, a #3500 and a #4200 . Good Japanese glass. Leupold has sold off Redfield, so it's on the NR list now. Vortex was thoroughly condemned.

The replacement model for the Bushnell 3000 series is a Chinese made Prime. At the same price as the Japanese.

Good luck.

I’m a vortex guy as well, but I wouldn’t even consider anything below the viper lines and for best results stick to the razors.

I run 2-10 and 3-15 razors from their hunting line and love them.. 3 .308s and 3 razors and I’ve never been let down, all wore vipers prior but needed an upgrade, though I had zero issues with the prior scopes just felt wrong to have a “cheap” scope on an expensive rifle.

if vortex still made the 2-10s.. that was probably their best scope dollar for value.

At the price point we can afford, the scopes are made in outside factories and firms like Vortec and Bushnell only import. That factory in the Philippines, I think it might have been the same one Japanese owned one, did good work. Bushnell, Nikon, Burris and Vortex all had scopes made in the Philippines .

We all can see how good multicoat on the glass is, but it's the erector assemble, elevation and windage, that we can't see that is critical. If your point of impact strays, that's the piece that's gone for a chit.

You can over tighten rings , a torque screw driver is needed on some brands of scopes. I use Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts. It saves the lapping of rings and you can correct for misplaced holes with various thicknesses. I've even used them to get a cant for long distances in target shooting.

I have bought and sold, then bought and sold repeatedly a lot of the recommendations here: Vortex Viper, Leupolds, Burris, Japanese glass Bushnell, and B&L Balvar. The glass on the Balvar, as well as the fit and finish, were amazing and I almost wish I kept it. But I went hunting in the rain and the lack of "rain coatings" that even cheaper brands and models have turned me off - but dang, that glass was beautiful. My first scope was a Vortex Viper 3-9, which I sold on my first gun, but bought another because I really think it's one of the best scopes you can buy for $300 used in new condition. The glass is very clear, and the eye relief is "ok"; minimum acceptable for a 30-06. I also have a Leupold fx-3 fixed 6 which is amazing glass, which I got for not much more than the Viper...score!

I wouldn't invest any money into anything less than a Leupold VX-1, which go for about $275 used in great condition, I bought one used with ring marks for $220. Didn't love the glass, so sold it.

When buying a Leupold, just be very careful of the model versions, lot's of people, buyers and sellers, screw them up (calling a scope a VX-2, when it is a VX-II), which changes both the features AND value of the scopes. Lots of confusion with the capital "i" and number "1" (one).

Variax-III, VX-II, and VX-1 are basically the same, and a 3-9x40 go for around $200-300 used.
    VX-III and VX-2 are similar, and run about $350-500 for a used 3-9, however you'll see guys posting VX-III's at VX-3 prices over $600+.

For reference:
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

I'll pass on another note, I going to say gem but I can't say for sure, a poster said he picks up Vari-X III 2.5x8s but leaves the VX-3 alone, also the old fixed M model but leaving the newer FX alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    I'll pass on another note, I going to say gem but I can't say for sure, a poster said he picks up Vari-X III 2.5x8s but leaves the VX-3 alone, also the old fixed M model but leaving the newer FX alone.
    I've read mixed reviews on the vx-3 as well, at least when they first came out. I did try a 70's Leupold m8 fixed 4, but I really wasn't impressed with the glass. I had a similar aged bushnell 4x with Bausch & Lomb glass that I thought looked clearer and more pleasing to the eye. The Leupold had way better eye relief though.

As for newer fx Leupold, I have the fx-3 6x42 and it is amazing: glass looks sweet, lots of eye relief, light. Lots to love.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

I just mounted a Vortex Viper HS 3-9x40 on my 308 with the exact same range goals in mind. Excellent as the closer ranges, and while I haven't yet shot past 100, the optic is plenty good to use to 300.
    Last edited by Hugh Mann; 04-30-2021 at 12:27 PM.

7x.8x,9x,10x. They all can pick up game farther than I can judge wind drift.