Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New scope time

Re: New scope time

I just received a Primary Arms GLX. Great reviews, and metal turrets with metal inerds for the click sound. Glass looks decent. I am just awaiting the rifle chassis to get some range time with it, but by all accounts it looks like it will be decent.

Right in the $1000 range.

We have 3 - 308 wins.

All have 2x7 Leupold VX 2 s one is 40 years old. Never an issue.

Your 99 in 308 is a great bush gun, tight quarters on 2 power. Extend that shot to 300 yards, 7 power.

The 2x7 are great for sooooo many purposes.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

You don't have a VX-2, you have the preceding model, the VariX-II . No clicks, single coating. The VX-2 has only been around for a much shorter time. It was when Leupold brought out the VX-2 with the 1/4 MOA clicks and the multi coating lenses that my buddy bought them. Maybe they have beefed them up by now ? They certainly needed it. Come to think about it, I have one from that batch, I should it check out. But the same economic laws apply to other brands . I'm not just picking on Leupold. I have a VariX- III that is almost forty years old. I bought it from Tennessee Valley Shooters for $180, less than half the Canadian price at the time. Leupolds in Canada are bit of a rip off, Bushnells were the same or even a bit cheaper in Canada. The 2.5-8 is a little milky compared to more recent scopes, but it's been on a couple of 30-06s with high shot counts and last time I checked, was still solid.

Some people I have spoken to that shoot A LOT tell me that the turrets in leupolds will eventually wear out. NF or SWFA are scopes have been recommended to me by this group as they state that the leupold turrets will fail eventually if you shoot enough. I have a vx5-hd and love it so far though. I do not shoot a ton though.

If you are going on a once in a lifetime hunt, you want one of those brands, not Leupold or even Bushnell 4200.

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    We have 3 - 308 wins.

All have 2x7 Leupold VX 2 s one is 40 years old. Never an issue.

Your 99 in 308 is a great bush gun, tight quarters on 2 power. Extend that shot to 300 yards, 7 power.

The 2x7 are great for sooooo many purposes.
    Great choice!

I can't speak for Leopold, but I have never had any issued with my (3) Vortex Viper 3-9 X 40mm. They do what I need and I don't feel the need to baby it like I would a $2000 scope (not that I'm rough with them).

My one fault for it is that the eye relief is . . . lackluster. Not a big issue on my bolt guns; however due to where the scopes tend to sit on a savage 99 ; to save on words the eye relief made the scope almost useless when mounted to a Savage 99 (in my case at least)

Still really like the scope on my other rifles, but for a Savage 99 it is was a no go for me.

I assumed a Savage 99 if it is a savage Axis or 111 then perfectly acceptable scopes.
    Last edited by Tred; 03-25-2021 at 01:50 PM.

I ended up going with a Burris, 4.5x14x42

​Leupold...........................

I have 3 of the Redfield ‘Revolution’ scopes. Last I heard they are owned by Leupold and manufactured in Oregon. So far really great for the price point. They have been great scopes for $300-400. I think their ‘Revenge’ line is manufactured in Asia, stay away from that one.