Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleeping Bags

Re: Sleeping Bags

I have a Cabelas 3D bag 0 def F for sale, it’s more of a tapered bag than a mummy .
    pm if interested
    cheers
    Duck tape can fix everything but stupid

On the lower end of the spectrum Canadian Tire sells Woods bags ranging from a -15 bag at $145 to a -45 rated one for about $400. I had one of these, IIRC it was rated for about -20, it was fine (lost it in a divorce). The only thing I didn't like was that the fill they use doesn't settle on you like down. The advantage of the new fills is that many retain most of their thermal efficiency when they are wet or damp. Another option to consider is the Wiggy bags, just google Wiggy. This has some kind of synthetic fill that works very well even if wet, they are tough and well made. I have had one of these for 25 years now. It is my primary canoe and kayaking bag. The other neat thing about Wiggy is they will basically make anything you want. When I ordered mine, because I am fairly tall and broad, for a modest charge they made the bag longer and wider for me.

I then came into, through a family member, an old canvas bag with what seems to be a plaid wool blanket for a liner, called a "Woods 5 Star". It is definitely a truck camping bag but it incredible to sleep in, even in very cold weather (-25 and lower). I don't know how many pounds of the finest goose down this thing has but it weighs at least 10 pounds. I understand this bag is now about 70 years old! If you can find one of these in a second hand store or a garage sale buy it, they are wonderful. Beware of the more recent ones as I understand they went away from goose down.

Hope this helps.

^^^^^^^^^^. Had to Google Wiggy bags . Seems like an interesting synthetic fill
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I am in need of a new bag too and have been considering a KUIU but they have disappeared from their website. Anyone know what's up with that?
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

I’m leaning towards synthetic but pretty open. Hoping to keep price under $200. I won’t be out in -20 conditions without a wall tent, just looking for a decent bag that won’t rip or have zipper issues etc. I’ll have a look at the Wiggys and others mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    What are you thinking for insulation , Down or Synthetic ? How much do you want to spend ?
    Arctic Lake.