Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Bags

Sleeping Bags

I’m looking for a new Car camping/hunting cold weather bag. I already have a mummy bag for hiking but am wanting a roomier bag for camping. My wife will be using it for cold weather camping and she’s always cold so I’m thinking something around -12 would work. She gets cold in her 0 degree mummy bag when it’s 7 out. I’ll use it when I tent on hunting trips. Does anybody have any experience with the canvas bags Cabelas sells? Any stores I should check out?

thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sleeping Bags

my base camp bag is a canvas -30 from WSS. I would go -25 if your going canvas. I use this bag in my tent during elk season and I don’t find it to warm. If anything I get great sleeps when I bring that bag. Had it down to -20 and slept great also.

I use a Chinook Trailside Dawson 8 (-22F) for conditions like these. I like it.

I have used it in high condensation conditions and kept dry inside. But that was only for one night. Not sure about multiple nights.

Complaints are it's really roomy and can have some dead air inside.

I'm not saying get the same as me, but if you happen upon one, I say consider it.

I have one from Cabelas. Not sure if they sell this particular bag anymore. I believe its a -20 bag. It's a great basecamp/truck camp bag.

That said, we spent a week a few years back on an early NOV deer hunt when temps got into the -22 range overnight. I'm a cold sleeper anyway but had to layer up a bit inside the bag and was comfortable enough once I warmed the bag up.

They are great for early season hunts when you can just leave the zipper open, mid season hunts where temps still aren't overly cold and amazing for wall tent camps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I have one from Cabelas. Not sure if they sell this particular bag anymore. I believe its a -20 bag. It's a great basecamp/truck camp bag.

That said, we spent a week a few years back on an early NOV deer hunt when temps got into the -22 range overnight. I'm a cold sleeper anyway but had to layer up a bit inside the bag and was comfortable enough once I warmed the bag up.

They are great for early season hunts when you can just leave the zipper open, mid season hunts where temps still aren't overly cold and amazing for wall tent camps.

struggles of having a long box. Damn that looks like a good setup.

For car camping I would go with those Canadian army sleeping systems that are multi layered.
    If space is no issue.

But I have slept in -10 with two regular sleeping bags. I think 1 is rated for -4 (I could never remember), and the other is just a 3 season bag for above 0 temps.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by thompie505 View Post
    My wife will be using it for cold weather camping and she’s always cold ....
    So sorry to hear his! ha

Old school ... boil up some water and fill a couple hot water bottles to warm up the bag first. I find that helps getting to sleep and once asleep your body will keep the bag warm enough. Also throwing a blanket over the bag wil help lesser bags stay warmer longer too.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Thanks for the reply’s, I’ll check those out. I usually boil water and fill a nalgene for her on overnight hikes and it works well. I’m just glad she likes camping haha. Anyone notice the canvas getting wet with condensation?

I'm considering getting a liner for my bag - Cabelas sells them. I've never used one but they're supposed to really help.

I've always wanted one of those Army setups but never could really justify it for what I do.

What are you thinking for insulation , Down or Synthetic ? How much do you want to spend ?
    Arctic Lake.
    Quote Originally Posted by thompie505 View Post
    I’m looking for a new Car camping/hunting cold weather bag. I already have a mummy bag for hiking but am wanting a roomier bag for camping. My wife will be using it for cold weather camping and she’s always cold so I’m thinking something around -12 would work. She gets cold in her 0 degree mummy bag when it’s 7 out. I’ll use it when I tent on hunting trips. Does anybody have any experience with the canvas bags Cabelas sells? Any stores I should check out?

thanks.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !