Thread: Turkey Help !

Turkey Help !

Hello,

I have searched up and down the forum, going back to 08 to try and consume as much information about where a fella like me could find some turkeys in the west kootney region.

I am from the LM and have always wanted to get after some birds, never had a opportunity. I'm not looking for anyone's secret spot but if someone could point me in the right direction regarding a general area it would be very much appreciated.

Have a good idea of what to do from a strategy POV but its very hard with a 2.5 year old to get out scouting in advance. I have to accept going in blind to some degree !

Is there any action in the Christina Lake Area? North of Grand forks?

Thank you!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Turkey Help !

in one sense they are pretty easy to find. low elevation power and gas lines with green grass and preferably some water. not much different from where spring black bears would hang out. but along those corridors they like certain spots which you will have to narrow down with footwork. they leave lots of sign where they are active and are vocal early and late. spray down with deet, lots of ticks out already this year. lots of gobbling going on now.

Both places hold a good amount of birds. Christina Lake will likely be a little busier which can be tough if you don't already have some spots picked out. If you're checking out Grand Forks, I'd be taking a look just North of town and you don't have to go very far. There are birds on the South end along the border as well but you will have a lot of private land to contend with.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

2 seasons ago I tried for turkey up the Granby R. on some side roads and located some turkeys in an old burn with fresh green coming up.I called in a couple but didn't get a shot.Lots of fun.I went back to my spot and the mushroom pickers showed up so that ended that spot as the pickers were crawling everywhere.
    I met a guy that killed a nice big tom.He made it into jerky and gave me some a few days later.
    I will try this season.