Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tents!

Re: Tents!

[QUOTE=Harv;2241979]
    Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    Condensation can be an issue in any tent depending on ventilation and weather conditions. 4 season tents are more sealed up than a 3 season so you have to make sure you open up the vents to help. If outside humidity is high, or minimal air movement, then ventilation might not help. The nice thing about a tipi style is the condensation will run down the wall and soak into the ground. No floor to pool up on. If you rub the walls you’ll get wet, but the same thing can happen when you rub the wall in double wall tent. The water just quickly soaks through the inner layer and gets on you. I think condensation issues between a single wall tipi style and a more classic double wall tent aren’t that different. Pick the tent style that suits your needs the best and condensation can be dealt with.

Ive been in a storm in a Nallo 3 where the humidity in the air was so high that it was basically a continuous rain storm in the tent. Absolutely nothing to do about it except hope the tent and you survive the storm.
    Ive also had nights in 3 season tents where the condensation would drip from the outer wall onto the inner wall, then drip in my face all night long.[/

Not sure if youve tried this or not but put a small sponge in your tent, it works great for wiping condensation off the inside of the tent and just wring it out in the vestibule, ive done it on a few trips now and it works awesome

I’ve used cloth, but sponge is a much better idea.

Has anyone used this brand?

https://www.tipitent.com/

Looks like it's a business here in BC. A couple of the models are on sale currently.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

i am using the SG ult and its been great so far, less than a lb and lots of room per person.

Quote Originally Posted by spreerider View Post
    i am using the SG ult and its been great so far, less than a lb and lots of room per person.
    It looks awesome. I've got a hubba that I like. I just think I need a heat source. It gets pretty wet and cold here on the island.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Personally, I'd rather just pack my own tent and have my partner do the same. I bought a Hubba NX 1 person a few years back, and it's about ideal for summer sheep pursuits and early season pack in elk hunts. Finding 2 small flat(ish) tent sights is a LOT easier than finding one double size, especially above treeline. The 1 person affords about 50% more space than each person would have in a 2 person tent, which is definitely appreciated for extended sleep in days.

I've got a Nallo 2 GT with about 40 nights of use as well. The vestibule is awesome and the tent is bomb proof, but being pinned down by foul weather with a partner a few inches away for extended periods sucks, no matter what size your tent is.

i have a super lite 4 man tent that i like to use we spit the package between 2 it has lots of room can basically stand up slightly but your can spread out sit up comfortably ive used it quite often back packing in. once there for spiking i have the larger silt tarps that i use. when i m on a solo hunt i have a lite two man tent with vestubles that i pack. Im one that will carry a pound or two more for a bonus in comfort at night lol

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Personally, I'd rather just pack my own tent and have my partner do the same. I bought a Hubba NX 1 person a few years back, and it's about ideal for summer sheep pursuits and early season pack in elk hunts. Finding 2 small flat(ish) tent sights is a LOT easier than finding one double size, especially above treeline. The 1 person affords about 50% more space than each person would have in a 2 person tent, which is definitely appreciated for extended sleep in days.

I've got a Nallo 2 GT with about 40 nights of use as well. The vestibule is awesome and the tent is bomb proof, but being pinned down by foul weather with a partner a few inches away for extended periods sucks, no matter what size your tent is.
    I agree. This year we went with two solo tents instead of one tent for two people and I don’t think I want to go back. Way easier to find comfortable spots for two small tents than it is for one large tent, and a little personal space is nice as well. The two tents are still pitched within feet of each other so talking back and forth is easy, but the personal space makes for better sleeping because no one is getting disturbed while the other moves around.

I just ordered this solid mid x 2person from Durston tents. About 2lbs, uses hiking poles or you can get two poles from them and is made of polyester not nylon so it doesn’t stretch and absorb water. Great reviews and can be used as a floorless shelter. He’s Canadian but it’s sold out of the States.

https://durstongear.com/product/x-mid-1-solid
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    It looks awesome. I've got a hubba that I like. I just think I need a heat source. It gets pretty wet and cold here on the island.
    never been cold on the island but wet for sure, never had a drop in this tent even condensation drops off onto the ground outside the area of the ground sheet

I have a SO Cimarron with a half nest and a titanium stove I made for it. I think it's the best of all worlds although I haven't had it in really bad weather yet other than last November near Merritt in the rain leading up to the floods. Love being able to wear my boots into the tent and having the nest to keep the bugs away. The stove is great and so hot I usually have to open one of the doors a bit to cool it down. Not the cheapest options though and make sure you seam seal it.