Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tents!

Tents!

hey everyone.

im in the market for a new back pack hunting tent. I've done several trips in a few different tents now and haven't really found one I like. I've also learned pretty fast that in extended bad weather, a 2 person tent isn't enough for 2 people haha. my question is, if money was no object, what is the best tent around through your experience? I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a hilleberg Nallo, but keep finding mixed reviews on it. keep in mind lighter the better within reason.
    thanks guys!

Harv.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tents!

Been using the Nallo 2GT for many years now. The extra vestibule room is awesome and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this tent to anyone. I use an Akto for solo hunts. Been in a lot of tents over the years and it doesn't get any better than Hilleberg.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

For two people Nallo 3 GT is hard to beat. Enough room for two, Big vestibule, reasonable weight for a four season and very strong for bad weather.
    The only downside is the footprint is on the long side instead of round. Some people prefer a tent with a door and vestibule on each side but the big vestibule of the Nallo adds more versatility in my opinion. Ive been using this tent the most since 2008.

Another tent I’ve used a lot on sheep hunts is a floorless tipi with small titanium wood stove. Tent and stove is lighter than the Nallo 3 GT, has more than enough room and offers heat. I haven’t had it in as bad of weather conditions as the Hilleberg though so not sure how it would stack up. It has a big round footprint which can be challenging as well, and single wall so condensation can be a little annoying if you don’t have a little ventilation. I would prefer the Hilleberg if I’m going to be camping up high, but it is amazing to have heat if your camping in brush or trees.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 03-21-2021 at 10:14 AM.

thanks for the info! how is the condensation in the tent after a few wet days? is there any Canadian retailers for hilleberg?

Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    thanks for the info! how is the condensation in the tent after a few wet days? is there any Canadian retailers for hilleberg?
    If I recall correctly there aren't any Canadian retailers because Hilleberg tents aren't coated with the right fire ******ant or something along those lines.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I have two msr 3 season tents, a 3 man eleixir And a 2 man hubba(old style). I’ve had them both in some pretty terrible weather and they both have held up great and set up fast. I don’t think I’ve been wet in either of these other than a tad damp where my sleeping bag was up against the wall by my feet, but even that wasn’t very much. My brother has a 3 man msr 4 season tent that we used last winter which is nice, but I found everything to be damp in the morning. I’m not sure if he had all of the vents open or if that’s normal.

I’m buying a cimarron with half nest in the next day or two so I have another option. More floor space for bad weather and you’ll be able to stand up to do stuff rather than being crammed into a sardine can. The stove might be a nice option if you’re hunting the island and want to dry out your gear. My partner is a bit of a princess though and he’s worried about mice and bugs without a floor and getting wet from ground water. If the tipi doesn’t work out, we’re going to go halfers on a big Agnes copper spur 3 man.

I don’t think there’s a do-all tent on the market, you’ll have to make a sacrifice somewhere. I haven’t tried a semi freestanding tent because I’m a little bit worried about how they’ll perform in wind and finding a spot to stake them out.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

You won’t be able to stand up in a Cimarron unless you are a midget.

If your looking for a nallo 2, I have one I’ll let go for what I have into it (bought used off the rockslide), has 6 nights use. I personally prefer free standing. The Nallo is a solid choice though.

Here’s a 5% off code for seek outside if you need it

Gritty
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    If your looking for a nallo 2, I have one I’ll let go for what I have into it (bought used off the rockslide), has 6 nights use. I personally prefer free standing. The Nallo is a solid choice though.
    thanks for the offer! But i was thinking about getting the nallo 3 for a bit of extra room, last time i back pack hunted we got stuck in the tent due to weather for a couple days in a 2 man, it was a bit too cozy lol