Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting a new retriever for christmas

Re: Getting a new retriever for christmas

It's hard to tell exactly what color they'll be when they mature, here is a picture of the father and the litter at a younger age. Color isn't so much of a big deal with me I'm more interested in a dog that will perform then it's color.

The breeder is going to forward me some recent pictures tomorrow and hopefully she can narrow the one I'm getting down to me. You can bet that when I get back on the 16th I'll have pictures posted up of the new addition to the family.

Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

very cute pups the wife says you should call the one you get Russet (cause they look like little red potatoes)
    Last edited by Barracuda; 12-13-2007 at 11:21 PM.

I didn't think we were quite so sensitive, it was meant to be a bit toung and cheek. However it is a fact and another member did agree that for a novice trainer they can be a bit of a challange with regards to training.The final dog will be a result of 30% genitics, 30% enviroment, and the rest is up to the trainer. I can't find your Buy And Sell guidelines ,I would thank you in advance for pointing me in there direction. I did how ever follow a similar format to the GSP ad that is still there, or did I miss something.

The colour of the pups will change over the first year.

With regards to being a breeder, i don't make a living of selling pups. It amazes me the amount of calls I get when I have pups for sale, from people who are happy to buy any thing that looks like a lab. With regards to any breed find out what the common problems are and ask to see proof that they have been tested and are clear. All breeds have a club, call the Canadian Kennel Club they will hook you up. For hunting dogs ask the CKC who the Field Trial Clubs are in your area.

The bottom line is I may spend more on a dog than you think is reasonable. I spend hundreds on testing, shots,etc, etc. But I am proud of my dogs. They cost you a bit more because they are better, because I care about the breed.

The stud dog is a good looking boy, I'm sure you will be more than succesful with your new pup.

Regarda Jim

Jim, some people take that joke seriously and honestly believe that a chessie is un-trainable. I’m about to prove that wrong.

Here is a pictures of one of the pups at 7 weeks playing.

BCWF

Marc - we've become the proud owners of a Chessie as of this summer. Amazing pup - definitely hard headed at times, but super intelligent and already a great retriever. You'll be glad you chose the breed, as they're very loyal, hard working and feel no pain...

Our's came from Tsunami Kennels in Smithers. My wife's family had a dog from the same breeder, and they definitely produce some birdy dogs.

Nice pups. I bet your anxious to take one home. I'd get another dog in a minute if I could.
    Every time I see a pic of a nice hunting pup, I want one.

Quota has a really nice ring to it.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

I’m purchasing my chessie from High Tide Chesapeakes in Surrey from Gayle Brady. This woman loves her dogs, I'm still trying to convince her that it’s ok to let one go to my house. I've spent probably 3 hours talking to her on the phone in the past 3 days, I think I got her in trouble once when her husband came home and found her on the phone. This woman loves working with these dogs and the breed in general. I can't wait to work with the dog and Gayle over the next couple of years as the dog develops into a hunting machine.

One of the best things about living on Vancouver Island is mild winters and open water all year long. Lots of time to get him trained up to start retrieving birds next fall.

BCWF

Hi Marc, I tried to send a PM reply but some how messed it up. I'm not a registered kennel. I'm a member of CKC and breed on occasion, the pups will be CKC registered. I don't see the difference between selling pups or guns , unless its a business, your primary source of income. You have a venue for me to sell all my guns if I wish, these pups are bred to hunt I think this would be a great place to promote them.
    It's your bat and ball.

With regards to any water training you are planning on, take 5 min. and go to www.conwaykennels.com there is a good article under tips of the month and starting young dogs around guns. Many of your Island dogs have spent time at Brooke's.
    Nice looking pup.

Thanks Jim, when I first trained my lab I didn't make him swim far for the first part he actually didn't like the water at all. But he wanted his dummy toy, so I just put it out far enough that he had to swim with it. There is plenty of training that can be done on land until the water warms up. If he's anything like my female lab she brakes ice to go for a swim. Even now my male will not purposely go for a swim but if there is a bird down or his toy is out there he's in there. My female rolls in every puddle of water she finds and the male just walks in chest high and takes a drink.

BCWF

Just got off the phone with the breeder about an hour ago trying to figure a day to go over. I'm thinking it may be the 14th now. She told me she now has all her pups sold and two more people on a waiting list. I'm glad I jumped on the wagon when I did.

Man I don't think you guys realize how excited I am to get this new puppy. It will definitely rekindle my interest in duck and goose hunting.

BCWF