Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting a new retriever for christmas

Re: Getting a new retriever for christmas

why is it when I see a puppy, or a kitten, or a baby my maternal insticts kick in and I look at Peter and he says "NO NO NO, we have enough pets and our kids are finally good to go"

Marc - very adorable pup

Alison

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

Two questions, have the hips and elbows been tested on both parents by OFFA?, and have the eyes been tested on the parents? If not why would you want to put any time into training it, all pups look cute but are they sound and trainable, from proven parents. I hope this is a breeder that cares about the breed. I have two yellow males left from a litter of 11, they may cost more but the quality of dog also increases.

It looks like they left the dew claws on, that could be a trip to the vet for you down the road and some serious avoidable pain for the dog.
    It costs about $5 per pup to have them removed in the first 3 days of there life, it can end a hunting trip and be fairly costly should he rip it off in the field.

Nice lookin pup.
    Good advice about checking the parents for hips and eyes. Might as well put the odds in your favour.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

I've decided after talking with the breeder not to purchase the lab pup. After the lack of any titles from the parents and hearing that they are bred for show and house pets I've decided to turn my attention somewhere else.

I'm now in touch with a breeder that has working hunting dogs that are certified and guaranteed against eyes and hip problems. Both parents have titles and have excellent temperaments. I’ve wanted a chessie for ever but when I had gotten my first lab my wife wouldn’t let me have a chessie. Now it looks like she’s given me a bit more leeway in what I choose so it looks like I may have a chessie pup by mid November. Minus the dew claws.

Last edited by Marc; 11-02-2007 at 09:47 PM. Reason: added another picture
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Your worst day hunting with a lab will be better than your best day hunting with a chesapeake, a chesapeake training kit contains, a whistle a 2 X 4, and a bottle of Asprin. In all my years of field trials I have never ever seen one compete, but I'm sure someone has?????

Seriously give me a call I have some great pups on the ground now that are ready to go next week, tomorrow is pigeon day for them, there first birds, they are 6 weeks old. The birdy pups go to hunting homes and the not so birdy pups make great pets. The last litter produced some great young dogs, this is a repeat breeding.

I find your comments a bit rude and uncalled for but I guess being a breeder and trying to push your pups you must resort to these tactics.

I deleted your for sale post a couple of days ago. You might want to read over the buy and sell guidelines before you try to sell your pups again.

BCWF

Good call letting the pup from show lines go. I had a show bred springer once that wouldn't have found a bird sitting on her head.

I have heard that chessies can be stubborn and require more work training. One of the reasons I got a griff, was that they are supposed to be easier to train and that was important to me. All a matter of your priorities I guess.

Go with your instincts and you probably won't be wrong.

Got a name picked out?
    To warm barrels and cold noses

I just put a deposit on a male chessie pup tonight, picking it up on the 16th of this month at 8 1/2 weeks old. Both parents have tracking, hunting, and working titles. The breeder is picking me out a birdy dog.

I've hunted over two chessies and in both cases the dogs performed like a retriever should. One we used over pheasants and was a great flushing and retrieving dog. The other we hunted over salt water in Dec back east in -15C weather. They are great retrievers and have their place in hunting. I think it comes down to what kind of dog you like. It's like trucks, some like Fords and others like Chevy. They are both different but do the same thing in the end.

The name I was thinking about is "Quota", the wife laughed at me and said "you're not calling the dog that" only problem is it's not her dog to decide.

BCWF

What color chesapeake are you getting? They are really neat dogs. I met a guy fishing that had two and they were nice. These ones were a lot bigger than most labs you see though. I think the owner of the dog has a lot more influence then the breed of the dog. You made a good choice.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."