Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vortex or Zeiss binoculars?

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Vortex or Zeiss binoculars?

Have a look at Meopta Optika HD in your price range
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Visions just got a shipment of Nikons in last week. They had a few "box-damaged" models marked down on their website a few days ago, might be worth a call to see what's in stock. I picked up a pair of the Monarch HG 10x42's for $998 last week. Tough to beat those at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    why are you comparing $250 binos with $800 ones?

Compare the Vortex Viper to the Zeiss maybe
    X2 those two are not even in the same class, at all.
    Pretty sure cross fire are even below the diamondback model.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    X2 those two are not even in the same class, at all.
    Pretty sure cross fire are even below the diamondback model.
    Crossfires are the base model. I don't think there is a lower option.

Quote Originally Posted by grantk View Post
    Visions just got a shipment of Nikons in last week. They had a few "box-damaged" models marked down on their website a few days ago, might be worth a call to see what's in stock. I picked up a pair of the Monarch HG 10x42's for $998 last week. Tough to beat those at that price.
    For another 100 bucks you can buy a pair of Nikon laserForce binoculars when they come on sale at cabelas. Picked up a pair a few years ago, couldn't be happier, definitely one of the best peace's of hunting equipment I've purchased in many years. Cristal clear glass. The range finder is really fast. I've used them in extreme weather conditions and they work perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportster View Post
    For another 100 bucks you can buy a pair of Nikon laserForce binoculars when they come on sale at cabelas. Picked up a pair a few years ago, couldn't be happier, definitely one of the best peace's of hunting equipment I've purchased in many years. Cristal clear glass. The range finder is really fast. I've used them in extreme weather conditions and they work perfectly.
    I understand the draw of combining them, I just haven't quite come around to the idea yet of putting electronics in a set of binoculars I'd like to last forever. I figured I'd rather spend the money on better glass with a separate rangefinder. Rangefinders are constantly improving to upgrade down the road if wanted, binoculars not so much. And besides, the HGs are light enough that there isn't even a weight penalty to carry the rangefinder separately.

About 6 or 7 years ago I picked up a pair of Leupold BX-3s when they were clearing out the kryptec pattern. Then last year I was at a just over a year ago I was at a store and they had a pretty solid sale on Zeiss. Figured, what or the heck, will just keep my Leupolds as back ups or loaners. Last year out hunting I really tried both. I still grab my Leupolds. Won't say they are clearer but o me they are more comfortable and the image looks more "natural" if that makes sense.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportster View Post
    The nikon HG is superior, optically, to the laserForce.

I know Vortex get knocked a lot but I recently picked up a pair of viper's 8x42 hd used. They are highly rated by birdwatchers so thought I'd try them out. For the money they are great bino's. I also have an older pair of leicas 10x42's and find myself packing the vortex while hiking around, they're lighter. They are not a replacement for the Leica's and I like the 8x and field of view for birds. I find that glass quality over the last few years has evened out a lot from what it used to be.