Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Behind the glass hunting podcast? BHA?

Re: Behind the glass hunting podcast? BHA?

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    What I think would be extremely valuable, and what I would volunteer service for, is a database of easy to find data that helps support hunter/conservation stances from the hunter perspective, that would help newbies like myself keep informed on topics that we can help share with our non-hunter friends.
    Do you mean like an online knowledge centre?
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Do you mean like an online knowledge centre?
    Something like that. Basically a resource for people, like myself, who don’t really know how to communicate to non-hunters in our circle the importance of predator hunting, and the data that backs it up.

It could be a repository of essays about specific controversial (at least to the non-hunting public) topics that include links to scientific papers, or other credible online publications that support the hunter/conservation side of the argument.

One thing I noticed from what little I heard from the podcast (still have to finish) is the referring of social license, or something like that. Unfortunately that is all too real, case in point with the grizzly ban. The fact of this reality means as hunters we need to be ready to adjust to that tactic, and knowledge is the best weapon.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    Something like that. Basically a resource for people, like myself, who don’t really know how to communicate to non-hunters in our circle the importance of predator hunting, and the data that backs it up.

It could be a repository of essays about specific controversial (at least to the non-hunting public) topics that include links to scientific papers, or other credible online publications that support the hunter/conservation side of the argument.

One thing I noticed from what little I heard from the podcast (still have to finish) is the referring of social license, or something like that. Unfortunately that is all too real, case in point with the grizzly ban. The fact of this reality means as hunters we need to be ready to adjust to that tactic, and knowledge is the best weapon.
    First - huge shout out to Rob Chipman as the rock steady voice of reason and for taking the time to write articulate posts that kept conversation moving forward. This was a tough one, thanks Rob. Not to mention the incredible hard work Rob does at the BCWF - he's got a very challenging role with the organization, maybe the most, given today's political landscape.

Josh - all of the organizations discussed in this thread have exactly what you're looking for: easy to access clickable downloads of well written letters, access and links to data bases, etc etc etc. I've included the memberships for the BCWF, BHA and the WSSBC below - join one, or heck - all three. I bet Rob has.

Speaking from personal experience the BCBHA has an online portal where members can access resources such as BC wildlife spending inforgraphics, letters and pre-written communications for MLAs as well a step-by-step "how to engage one to one with politicians and influences..."

No need to re-invent the wheel here.

Another option is google search Jesse Zeeman BCWF and steal ALL of his ideas and work (trust me he wants you to) - he's put it all out there so you can intelligently and respectfully engage politicians, influencers or your neighbour.

https://www.backcountryhuntersbc.com/#svmDWU
    https://bcwf.bc.ca/membership/
    https://www.wildsheepsociety.com/joi...ty-of-bc/#join

My only comment on the podcast is it has garnered the exact results that Dairmont targeted: hunters embroiled in energy depleting in-fighting. Think of all the time, typing and general ****ery that has gone into this thread? What if everyone had used the time to write their MLA and ask them out for a covid friendly coffee to talk about conservation and to tell your story about hunting and social license.

Here's the link to find your MLA: https://www.leg.bc.ca/learn-about-us/members

Need a pre-written letter? Email me and I'll get you one (mark_r@telus.net)

Quote Originally Posted by markathome View Post
    First - huge shout out to Rob Chipman as the rock steady voice of reason and for taking the time to write articulate posts that kept conversation moving forward. This was a tough one, thanks Rob. Not to mention the incredible hard work Rob does at the BCWF - he's got a very challenging role with the organization, maybe the most, given today's political landscape.

Josh - all of the organizations discussed in this thread have exactly what you're looking for: easy to access clickable downloads of well written letters, access and links to data bases, etc etc etc. I've included the memberships for the BCWF, BHA and the WSSBC below - join one, or heck - all three. I bet Rob has.

Speaking from personal experience the BCBHA has an online portal where members can access resources such as BC wildlife spending inforgraphics, letters and pre-written communications for MLAs as well a step-by-step "how to engage one to one with politicians and influences..."

No need to re-invent the wheel here.

Another option is google search Jesse Zeeman BCWF and steal ALL of his ideas and work (trust me he wants you to) - he's put it all out there so you can intelligently and respectfully engage politicians, influencers or your neighbour.

https://www.backcountryhuntersbc.com/#svmDWU
    https://bcwf.bc.ca/membership/
    https://www.wildsheepsociety.com/joi...ty-of-bc/#join

My only comment on the podcast is it has garnered the exact results that Dairmont targeted: hunters embroiled in energy depleting in-fighting. Think of all the time, typing and general ****ery that has gone into this thread? What if everyone had used the time to write their MLA and ask them out for a covid friendly coffee to talk about conservation and to tell your story about hunting and social license.

Here's the link to find your MLA: https://www.leg.bc.ca/learn-about-us/members

Need a pre-written letter? Email me and I'll get you one (mark_r@telus.net)
    Fantastic post, Mark. Hopefully everyone gives it a read and soaks it in.

And great point about Zeman. The hunting community in BC is very lucky to have him and others like him working so tirelessly on their behalf.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Nothing wrong with discussing this topic. I know a few guys commenting here including myself that have reached out to their MLA's. The point here is that the host of this particular pod cast did a pis poor job advocating for resident hunters in BC. I think it is a fair criticism and I am sure he has learned from it. Nothing really more to say.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Rob Chipman's incite on this topic and others in other threads seems honest and makes sense, even if I don't like it..

Wasn't it Jesse Zeeman who started the whole "meat hunter" vs "trophy hunter" in his quota battle against the outfitters? We then lost the Grizzly hunt soon after....seems to me we need all hands on deck including GOABC if we want hunting to have "social license" to hunt in the future...

I'm still cautious of BHA as a whole, this podcast didn't help...when an organization is started by a lefty and receives large donations from companies that also donate to the Tides fund, my hackles go up..

All that being said I am very pessimistic that my kids will be able to hunt with even close to as much freedom as we did 5 years ago. You have only to read their school text books or listen to current events to realize things aren't going well for the sport of hunting.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    Rob Chipman's incite on this topic and others in other threads seems honest and makes sense, even if I don't like it..

Wasn't it Jesse Zeeman who started the whole "meat hunter" vs "trophy hunter" in his quota battle against the outfitters? We then lost the Grizzly hunt soon after....seems to me we need all hands on deck including GOABC if we want hunting to have "social license" to hunt in the future...
    I was thinking about that myself... I seem to recall a lot of comments and rumour about Zeeman working closely with Andrew Weaver around the grizzly hunt right up until it was shut down....

If anyone has any insight into that now might be a good time to discuss that. Jesse is a member here is he not?

...No need to re-invent the wheel here...
    Thanks for that info Mark, I think I just might join all three. I joined BHA last year, but it just ran out a month or so ago.

And to clarify, I don't want to reinvent the wheel, I just want to point others to the wheel. My background is web, marketing, information technology. If there are resources on your websites, then I want to create a search optimized place for others to EASILY find them. I'm still breaking that down in my head, but I will be reaching out to plenty of the fine HBC folks on how and where to find specific information that helps communicate science based data/evidence that supports hunter/conservation interests.

I've heard the best way to deal with bad ideas is to introduce and argue better ideas. The more places we can spread better ideas online, the better for us all.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Do you have a link? https://www.backcountryhuntersbc.com/#jKIbGM is a square-based site with no portal, link or login that I can see. Similar to https://www.backcountryhunters.ca/

I have been a member for over a year and never came across such info - and I did look!

I finally listened to the whole podcast, and can see now reason for the backlash, especially to Chris Darimont. What stood out for me was that he would try to come from an evidence based perspective only to give extremely biased remarks, especially when he called BS on the minds and hearts of Wolf, or predator hunters as if he knows the mind of any, or most of those hunters. I also noticed he would use the "there is little to no scientific evidence" argument to disprove a point he was making, yet did not provide any evidence to PROVE his point was correct.

I wouldn't be that hard on Chris P, he was dealing with technical difficulties, and simply trying to have a conversation - not a fight. And the truth is, there are many hunters that are like Chris Darimont, and they need to be educated so they don't support initiatives like the grizz hunt ban in the future.

I listened with an open mind, and at first I thought Chris Darimont sounded like a reasonable, educated person (not knowing him from Adam). However, as the interview unfolded, it became clear that he had an agenda that he was willfully trying to push. It was especially evident at points where he started stammering and avoiding some simple questions, when previously he seemed relaxed and conversational.

Just my two cents - from an objective listener
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

— G. K. Chesterton