Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Behind the glass hunting podcast? BHA?

Re: Behind the glass hunting podcast? BHA?

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    ...One more thing that bothered me about the podcast, and continues to bother me the more I hear it... "Adult Onset Hunter". Enough with that bullshit...
    Good points here, just didn’t fully understand the problem with AOH - and I write this with respect.

I just started hunting a few years ago, still yet to bag my first big game - going to try to make it happen with a Bruin this spring. But I wear the AOH moniker with pride as I see it as an awakening of an adult getting connected with their primal reward systems, which leads to new adventures in the outdoors. As an AOH it also means my experience is nil, and I accept that and am very open to learn. I’m a web designer by profession, and spend a ton of time researching and obsessing over different hunting related topics, from ballistics to game behaviour.

What I think would be extremely valuable, and what I would volunteer service for, is a database of easy to find data that helps support hunter/conservation stances from the hunter perspective, that would help newbies like myself keep informed on topics that we can help share with our non-hunter friends.

I find the more I tell people in my circle that I started hunting, more people (male and female) are interested in getting their core and pal. I feel the more people that we encourage to either become hunters or support hunting is only going to help all hunters in the future to combat anti-hunting agendas.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    Good points here, just didn’t fully understand the problem with AOH - and I write this with respect.

I just started hunting a few years ago, still yet to bag my first big game - going to try to make it happen with a Bruin this spring. But I wear the AOH moniker with pride as I see it as an awakening of an adult getting connected with their primal reward systems, which leads to new adventures in the outdoors. As an AOH it also means my experience is nil, and I accept that and am very open to learn. I’m a web designer by profession, and spend a ton of time researching and obsessing over different hunting related topics, from ballistics to game behaviour.

What I think would be extremely valuable, and what I would volunteer service for, is a database of easy to find data that helps support hunter/conservation stances from the hunter perspective, that would help newbies like myself keep informed on topics that we can help share with our non-hunter friends.

I find the more I tell people in my circle that I started hunting, more people (male and female) are interested in getting their core and pal. I feel the more people that we encourage to either become hunters or support hunting is only going to help all hunters in the future to combat anti-hunting agendas.
    Sorry, I didn’t mean to knock people becoming hunters at a later age, I was simply referring to the label. Much like “meat hunter, trophy hunter, etc... I feel like these labels only cause further unnecessary segregation, that’s all.

In terms of a central location for conservation and on going database of that sort... that would be tough and I don’t know how you’d even begin to tackle that one.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

So much respect for all the guys that are getting into it without growing up in it. I can't imagine the learning curve that you face trying to get started.

I identify as a TOH 'Teenage onset hunter' at least thats when I started.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I’ve called myself an adult onset hunter because it’s nicer than saying sh!tty hunter. This stuff is hard enough to figure out when you don’t have anyone to take you out and teach you. I still suck and got another kick in the balls last season when I didn’t get anything after finally getting my first deer 6 years in the year before. I must be a sucker for punishment haha.

Now I need to worry about offending the good hunters because they don’t like a term that might describe me in a somewhat non sh!tty way?

Im not going to say I haven’t been offered help but some of the things that have gone down to either keep me from hunting with more experienced guys or cut trips short with other guys are nuts. I can’t decide if they are hilarious or depressing. Probably a bit of both...

you guys can fack off. I’m an adult onset hunter. I might also be an idiot so take that for what it’s worth.

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    I’ve called myself an adult onset hunter because it’s nicer than saying sh!tty hunter. This stuff is hard enough to figure out when you don’t have anyone to take you out and teach you. I still suck and got another kick in the balls last season when I didn’t get anything after finally getting my first deer 6 years in the year before. I must be a sucker for punishment haha.

Now I need to worry about offending the good hunters because they don’t like a term that might describe me in a somewhat non sh!tty way?

Im not going to say I haven’t been offered help but some of the things that have gone down to either keep me from hunting with more experienced guys or cut trips short with other guys are nuts. I can’t decide if they are hilarious or depressing. Probably a bit of both...

you guys can fack off. I’m an adult onset hunter. I might also be an idiot so take that for what it’s worth.
    Again, I’m simply saying that in a time of in fighting and pressure from anti hunting fronts, I don’t think it’s good to segregate ourselves. We are all hunters, some of us started younger others later, when you started is not important. I’ve been hunting my whole life, I don’t think I’m a good hunter, and to be honest don’t know what a good hunter is. As hunters we are always learning, whether that be from experiences in the field or podcasts. I just think it’s important for the betterment and future of hunting we don’t lump ourselves into segregated groups. That is all, maybe I’m wrong. Like I said in my first point, not everyone’s going to agree 100% of the time and I’m good with that.

I was an "adult onset hunter" lol, started at age 30..that term makes it sound like a sickness like early onset dementia...good marketing for sure..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

I have enjoyed this thread thoroughly. But cmon guys, give the mountain athlete a break..

Sorry, I didn’t mean to knock people becoming hunters at a later age, I was simply referring to the label. Much like “meat hunter, trophy hunter, etc... I feel like these labels only cause further unnecessary segregation, that’s all.
    I hear you, and agree about not causing further segregation. I believe I read that Ryan Lampers (StHealthyHunter) coined the term "adult onset hunter" years back, and from my perspective it is a positive term that gives some identity to those of us who are trying, with much effort and little to no success to become a "real" hunter. Kinda like a junior to senior thing. But from another perspective I can see how that term along with "ethical hunter", "meat hunter" and others can be deemed unnecessary, and possibly be used negatively.

....In terms of a central location for conservation and on going database of that sort... that would be tough and I don’t know how you’d even begin to tackle that one.
    I think it would be super valuable, and I think... I'm going to try to tackle it. I'd appreciate input from all who care to assist - I'll start a new thread...

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    So much respect for all the guys that are getting into it without growing up in it. I can't imagine the learning curve that you face trying to get started.
    The payoff of just getting out there makes it worth it. I can't imagine how rewarding my first big game animal harvest will be

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    I identify as a TOH 'Teenage onset hunter' at least thats when I started.
    Right on!

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    I’ve called myself an adult onset hunter because it’s nicer than saying sh!tty hunter. ...
    LOL - I feel similar sometimes! Tons of mistakes I look back on.... I'm learning 3 years in that patience is one of our greatest tools....

...We are all hunters, some of us started younger others later, when you started is not important...
    I can't find much to argue with here, solid points. I guess as a new hunter a little bit of imposter syndrome creeps in if I use the term "hunter", even though I hunt, have harvested some small game (just no big yet).

I 100% agree that we need to be united as much as possible so that big issues can be tackled.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    I was an "adult onset hunter" lol, started at age 30..that term makes it sound like a sickness like early onset dementia...good marketing for sure..
    This is one of the things I heard before that deters some from digging the AOH term, because it sounds like they are "afflicted" with something like you stated. I couldn't agree more!!! It has made me WAY more obsessive than I can remember being.... or ignites a passion I haven't felt since my younger years, say like the first time I really got into learning to play a music instrument. First it was listening to albums (kids remember those?) end to end then practicing 10 hours a day, then buying all the music magazines (rags), then hangin with my music buddies to talk about concerts, gear, who or what's the best this and that.... then buying, testing, selling – GEAR!.... LOL SO many similarities.

But yeah, as an adult onset hunter I've definitely been AFFLICTED with the passion of hunting.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

I hear you, and agree about not causing further segregation. I believe I read that Ryan Lampers (StHealthyHunter) coined the term "adult onset hunter" years back, and from my perspective it is a positive term that gives some identity to those of us who are trying, with much effort and little to no success to become a "real" hunter. Kinda like a junior to senior thing. But from another perspective I can see how that term along with "ethical hunter", "meat hunter" and others can be deemed unnecessary, and possibly be used negatively.

I think it would be super valuable, and I think... I'm going to try to tackle it. I'd appreciate input from all who care to assist - I'll start a new thread...

I can't find much to argue with here, solid points. I guess as a new hunter a little bit of imposter syndrome creeps in if I use the term "hunter", even though I hunt, have harvested some small game (just no big yet).

I 100% agree that we need to be united as much as possible so that big issues can be tackled.

If you're out there, investing time, boot rubber, and learning.. you're a real hunter in my opinion. What you harvest doesn't always tell the whole story and there's no reason to feel like an imposter if you're out there putting in the work.

The amount of work you put in prior to that harvest, will only make the moment it happens that much better for you. Like you said and its one thing I go back to... Patience is key.