Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2021 Solo Goat Hunt Film is up!

Re: 2021 Solo Goat Hunt Film is up!

Awesome film. Always love your content. That looked super tough. I have always wanted to do that hunt. Trying to convince friends is the hard part.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Great video, your attitude and determination are very impressive. Thanks for sharing. The beating the snowshoes took made me laugh out loud. 330lbs in tough conditions is a good stress test.

I agree with you on how loneliness and depression can set in on a solo hunt when you’re tired. It messes with your resolve. I learned years ago to force myself to eat some food and get a good rest before I made a decision. Turns out nutrients are very helpful for me
    Last edited by mod7rem; 03-19-2021 at 10:56 PM.

The difficulty of executing a hunt like that, “successful” or not, is one thing. To do it solo and film yourself is completely next level. Thank you for putting that film together for our viewing pleasure. I really appreciated your thoughts on “self awareness” when in the thick of enduring a hunt like that. Having done solo backpack hunts, I found that very relatable. Keeping a positive attitude is so important because it sure is easy to convince yourself to pack up or not hunt as hard as you should when your experiencing adverse conditions and you don’t have a buddy there to give you that little push.

Pretty hilarious what you did to those snowshoes. Thanks again!

Thanks for sharing...reminds me of solo hunts I've done in the past...way before the days of SPOT, Cell phones, GPS or other electronic devices.

So what's the story with the bent snowshoe?

Sincerely appreciate the support guys. I try to do my best to share what it's really like out there and I never quite know how it's going to be received. This type of feedback gets me super excited to crank things up another notch.

I've talked with a few guys who have extensive snowshoeing experience and the MSR lightning ascents I had really are teh best the industry has to offer right now. I think that 340lbs between myself and my pack was just too much. I also hike like a pissed off bull which doesn't help matters. They are currently being shipped back to MSR for warranty inspection and I'll let you know their answer when I hear. After looking at everything available on the market, my plan for next year is to go with the same snowshoes but to take them into a fab show and get some additional reinforcements welded on. That was by far the most technical snowshoeing I have done and I just don't see it being possible on a more traditional shoe. I think you need a really aggressive platform like the MSR's. I think it also says a lot about the design as well that they slowly bent before breaking and didn't just catastrophically crack with no notice.

On this week's podcast I went through a detailed review of my pack, sleep system, shelter and clothing. Next week I'll be doing the second half which will include the rest of my gear such as the snowshoes if you are interested in a more through breakdown.

The next hunt will be spring bear. Won't be as hardcore but will be a super fun hunt with a ton of bears on film if things go the way they normally do.

Thanks again guys.

Tough to tell in the video but a lot of the hiking to base camp looked like you were along a River bottom. Would you be able to use a pulk sled to get you into base camp? Would keep some weight off the snow shoes?

Great video. Man oh man watching you in the video I was thinking that sure looks dang cold and wet.
    At one point in the video I was thinking you should make a fire and then next thing you made a fire. Its amazing when you are cold and wet and just a little fire and warmth can purk you up.
    I hope if you try it again in your future you connect on a goat.
    And good for you for recording it. Thats just more gear you have to take when you could take something else.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.