Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical or fixed blade? Advice needed

Re: Mechanical or fixed blade? Advice needed

Fixed. Too many mechanical broadheads have opened up on me hiking through thick shit. One less point of failure

Arrow Re: Mechanical or fixed blade? Advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Golddust View Post
    Nog you shoot any bears with the expandables? Thinking about trying to get out this spring for a bear with my bow. Was wondering if the length of the fur has any impact on their opening?
    No apparent impact on their opening. Does them Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    ... I’ve had excellent luck with 3-blade 1.5” cut NAP Spitfire mechanical heads on blacks and on the polar. No penetration issues, great flight, accurate and better blood trails than the smaller fixed blade heads I shot for years. Aim behind the shoulder for the lungs. I like them deer, caribou and bears.
    I run with the 125 Grain Spitfires as well, with pretty much exactly the same results.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I shoot fixed blades with my tenpoint crossbow...simply to ensure nothing goes wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Another vote for fixed! I've used mechanicals in the past but as stated, too many things can go wrong. Last ones I used were G5 Deadmeat, they jiggled in the quiver, drove me nuts. I'm 30" draw 72lbs and shoot QAD Exodus and Magnus black hornets and they fly great. If you live in Squamish and need a press, hit me up. My archery room is coming along and I'm always willing to help out.
    Thanks for the offer I'll have to take you up on it when I get my stuff more put together

[QUOTE=Blockcaver;
    I’ve had excellent luck with 3-blade 1.5” cut NAP Spitfire mechanical heads on blacks and on the polar. No penetration issues, great flight, accurate and better blood trails than the smaller fixed blade heads I shot for years. Aim behind the shoulder for the lungs. I like them deer, caribou and bears. I did shoot the grizzly with a 1.5” wide 2 blade mechanical but wasn’t impressed with the blade trail. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Hi Kurt - are those 100 gr or 125 gr heads ? Thks RJ

I have shot 4 mooses, 7 bears, around 12 deers and a zebra with mechanicals with good results. I like wide opening two blades.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Hi Kurt - are those 100 gr or 125 gr heads ? Thks RJ
    I use the 100 gr head attached to an outsert that weighs 34 gr combined with a 22 gr stainless steel insert installed for extra arrow shaft reinforcing and a bit more forward of center. The arrow is not light up front....16% FOC The Spitfire blades are exactly the same on the 100 and 125 gr 1.5" heads. Just 25 gr more metal in the body of the heavier head, but the threaded shank is identical.

Try a few different types of fixed blades or try and Broadhead tune your bow, my personal experience with mechanical broadheads is not good but some guys love them.

I have arrowed lots of Blacktail deer. Have had years of killing on cull permits so I'll leave the number to your imagination. I shoot a 55 lb longbow, 55 lb recurve, and a 60 lb compound at 28" draw length.

I have tried many different mechanicals and have had many break on these little deer and a few that didn't open. Same on bear and on a cougar (shot with longbow). They still killed but ... at this point my confidence in them is too low to consider larger game. My go to broadhead is the G5 Montec Carbons for all game now. As J_T said, keep your shot distances shorter and the arrow flight becomes less critical.

BTW - Your set-up will kill anything on planet earth. Wish I was strong enough to draw that kind of weight. Good luck!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Arrow Re: Mechanical or fixed blade? Advice needed

After NAP moved their production of the Spitfire mechanical broadhead to Taiwan, the quality control slid right into the gutter.

I put numerous ads on many forums, and collected around 2.5 dozen of the US produced ones.
    Additionally, I also collected around 8 or so of the replacement kits also made in the US.

To date, I have rebuilt around 20 or so of the 125 grain Spitfires.
    One in particular has killed four deer, and will be front and center looking for it's fifth this next coming week.

As I noted before, these fly exactly like my field points, and produce excellent (and rather short) blood trails.

They will remain my Go-To until such time as I fling the last one in hot pursuit.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me