Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mechanical or fixed blade? Advice needed

Re: Mechanical or fixed blade? Advice needed

I have only used rage hypodermic's in the past, but am switching to day 6 evo's for this year. They fly great but the last time I used them (hog in saskatchetoon) only one side opened up, aside from that you typically bend blades and have to replace bits and pieces everytime they're used. That being said I've got some 100gr heads I'll give someone a good deal on!

All things mechanical will eventually fail, shoot fixed blades for ultamite reliability.

I've swapped to DaySix EVO's they fly perfect out to 100yards with my field points. I am actually gonna be trying the IRON WIll single bevels this year. I just ordered 6 of the single bevel 125gr Iron Wills this morning.
    Last edited by Bear Brawler; 04-03-2022 at 12:43 PM.

As has been stated by others. Go with fixed and heavy at that. More blood more blades (3 or 4), deeper penitration 2 blades.

fozzy is offline hunting 4 a decent Mulie

I run fixed blade and tuned my bow to shoot them exactly as my field points which isn't that hard to do.

When I was tuning my set up I was wishing QAD had a micro adjustable rest, now they do.

I'm not really an archer. But I've had a couple "aww shit" moments with mechanicals. Muzzy trocar fixed blades have made "oh shit" shots into lethal shots. Giving pro series Grimm reapers a whirl this bear season.

Arrow Re: Mechanical or fixed blade? Advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I've had a couple "aww shit" moments with mechanicals.
    I'd guess this could be considered an aww shit moment:

This big dry doe turned just as I let a 405 grain Zombie Slayer fly.
    Did not hit where intended.

Tipped with a 125 grain Spitfire mechanical, the damage it did on impact was truly amazing:

Blew right through her at over 60 yards, taking out both lungs and the aorta.
    Left a blood trail that was incredible, but tumbled a long way down that slope after she expired.
    Made for a crappy drag uphill.

Looked to me like a hit from a 30-06.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I'm not a bow hunter, but the damage it did is unbelievable!
    I can see you needed a drink to finish the job.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

I would say aim to use fixed blades and figure out the tuning part, as its pretty important when it comes to actual penetration. I mean you could just adjust your sight to make sure broadheads land where you aim but that doesn't really mean you're getting good penetration. Tuning isn't too difficult. Typically what I do during the off season, especially after installing a new string, I'll shoot a bareshaft or two with my fletched arrows at the range. When it comes time to hunt if my bareshafts and fletched have been grouping at say 20, 30 & 40 yards I don't even need to worry about my broadhead flight (although I still check it, damn ethics). I purchased a portable press that's approved by the bow manufacturer and did a lot of research on tuning.