Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical or fixed blade? Advice needed

Mechanical or fixed blade? Advice needed

Hey guys,

I've been shooting a bow for a while now (3 years). Just updated my sight to a fixed 7 pin. I'm committing to hunting bow only this year pending I don't get any amazing LEH draws.

Personally I would prefer to shoot a fixed blade because less moving parts means less that can go wrong in the field along with the other advantages however I think for the next year or so I want to shoot mechanicals simply because they're easier to tune (I don't have a bow press and have limited ability to shoot as often as I'd like or is necessary).

My draw length is 30 inches at 75 lb. Arrow weight is 450 grains with aluminum insert and 125 point. Can I get away with hunting black bear/moose with this setup?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Best,
    Tony

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mechanical or fixed blade? Advice needed

I would go fixed. A well tuned bow shoots more efficiently and mechanicals will fly good if your fixed are flying good. There are a few bow presses out there for under 100, some even backpackable. Do some reading and watch some reputable videos on bow tuning, Its not that hard just keep track of what you change so that you can always get back to original. When tuning for broadheads the most important thing I found was to spin test every arrow every time you swap a fixed onto it. Reject even the slightest wobble and maybe try that broadhead on a different shaft until every arrow with a broadhead spins perfect.

My opinion only, but you asked. I would stay with fixed. No question. Lots of reasons. But if you keep your distances closer than when you target shoot, performance becomes less of a factor. And, in 30 years of bowhunting with other bowhunters, I have tracked animals where the mechanical did not function as it should have. Like anything, if it's a moving part, it can be, that one more thing which may go wrong.

Another vote for fixed.

Your setup is more than enough. My bow is 27.5 " draw , 56#. I still shoot the original Muzzy 100gr 3 blade fixed and have had full pass-throughs on elk out to 50 yards.

I wouldnt change to mecanical broadheads for the simple fact that they offer no benefit aside from maybe being a tad less susceptible to wind but have a higher risk of something failing on impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Another vote for fixed.

Your setup is more than enough. My bow is 27.5 " draw , 56#. I still shoot the original Muzzy 100gr 3 blade fixed and have had full pass-throughs on elk out to 50 yards.

I wouldnt change to mecanical broadheads for the simple fact that they offer no benefit aside from maybe being a tad less susceptible to wind but have a higher risk of something failing on impact.
    And a 'tad' more susceptible to opening up while in the quiver, when hiking through dense bush...

Arrow Re: Mechanical or fixed blade? Advice needed

I will never shoot fixed.
    My crossbow is a tad too quick for most of them, as they trend to "steer" the arrow.
    Been running with mechanicals for years with damn few problems.
    HUGE entrance and exit holes equals wide & short blood trails.
    Good enough for me.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thanks for the input guys. I'm definitely swaying more towards fixed. Especially for bigger game that I can get closer to (moose). But I will have to get a few things and really start to tune my bow. For deer and until I have it tuned I'll be shooting the expandables because they're just screw on and go.

Nog you shoot any bears with the expandables? Thinking about trying to get out this spring for a bear with my bow. Was wondering if the length of the fur has any impact on their opening?

Cheers,
    Tony

Another vote for fixed! I've used mechanicals in the past but as stated, too many things can go wrong. Last ones I used were G5 Deadmeat, they jiggled in the quiver, drove me nuts. I'm 30" draw 72lbs and shoot QAD Exodus and Magnus black hornets and they fly great. If you live in Squamish and need a press, hit me up. My archery room is coming along and I'm always willing to help out.

I’ve arrowed a fair number of black bears. Also arrowed a brown, grizzly and polar bear. Most were taken with a 65# 29” draw compound with 385 to 520 gr arrows...last 7 seasons 475 gr arrows.

I’ve had excellent luck with 3-blade 1.5” cut NAP Spitfire mechanical heads on blacks and on the polar. No penetration issues, great flight, accurate and better blood trails than the smaller fixed blade heads I shot for years. Aim behind the shoulder for the lungs. I like them deer, caribou and bears. I did shoot the grizzly with a 1.5” wide 2 blade mechanical but wasn’t impressed with the blade trail. Good luck!

To be clear, in response to your question, I'm not trying to create any horror stories for mechanicals. They can leave a huge hole and an amazing blood trail. There are different hunting scenarios where, an easy walk in, in a stand, close range, they have great results. My preference is the consistency of a fixed blade.