Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking boots vs hunting boots

Hiking boots vs hunting boots

Hi all,

Time to replace my old boots after a decade + of use. This is a bit of a "new hunter" question, but is there any legitimate benefit to using hunting boots versus regular hiking boots?

context:

I have worn Solomon Quest 4D GTX boots for a long time now, and they work well for me. I have used them the first three years of my hunting career and I don't see any reason not to buy another pair. Should I go with "if it ain't broke..." or consider getting hunting specific boots?

Camo on my boots doesn't matter to me. In fact, I'd rather have non camo for when I am using them in non-hunting settings.

looking for a standard all around hunting boot good for backcountry solo multi day, but nothing for Sheep or Goat.

any consensus on favorites out there?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solomon.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	8329  

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hiking boots vs hunting boots

I would wear what works best for you and forget what they say they should be used for.

bhb
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

I think the big difference comes down to if you’re packing a load on multi day trips, or hiking with a day bag looking for animals. If you’re packing a heavy bag then I’d go with a good rigid mountain boot and if you’re day hunting I’d go with whatever is comfortable, waterproof and decent ankle support.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I'm a stick with what works kind of guy, personal preference, unless i'm going to need my rubber boots I pretty much use the same pair for everything from hunting to hiking.

I like Scarpa - I use the SL active. They last forever. I use Obenauf’s on them.

One thing I will mention. It seems like the consensus on goretex lined is it works good for about a year.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'hunting' specific boots. All I can think of are camo Irish Setters or something that would be deemed a 'hunting' boot. Mostly all marketing crap.

If you plan on hiking alot in steep country with a pack then get yourself a good pair of hiking boots. Hanwag, La Sportiva, Scarpa, Meindl etc etc.

I can't speculate on the Solomons you have but if they work for your hunting style and they have been good to you then maybe you have found the boot for you!
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I love the fit of my Hanwag Alaskans. But they are uninsulated and I find my feet get very cold in Oct while sitting/glassing. But when hiking they are absolutely awesome and very comfortable in warmer weather.

My next set will have some insulation.

Asolo and Salomon for me.
    I bought Asolo over Salomon just beucase it was a sale on them..

SkyView in Surrey always has something on sale I find.
    https://skyviewcamping.com/collections/mens-footwear

They always manage to part me from my money when I walk in there.

They have Scarpa, Merrel, Handwank etc.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Asolo is my go to boot for hiking with a light pack. they are so comfortable and waterproof. I picked up a pair on sale there too.