Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hiking boots vs hunting boots

Re: Hiking boots vs hunting boots

I am a hiking boot until October moose hunting, then I switch.

I have used the Solomons 4D and had great luck with them. I am now wearing Selewa Mountain Trailer Mid and they are the best hiking boot I have worn. I wear my hikers from Feb to October and avg 500km hiking, walking the dog, scouting, shed hunting and hunting elk, moose and deer. The Selewa's are little stiffer than the Solomons, but fit much better, have a lace up toe cap and all around rubber rand.

Once Moose season comes, I switch to Hunting boots and Muck Boots and wear Meindls and Arctic Pro as I like the higher boot for snow.

Add Gaiters to all boots and you have a good waterproof system for wet brush, wet snow and mud.

Find boots that fit and wear them with what you would use hunting, including wearing your pack with what you estimate would be a weight in the pack and go for a hike, up and down and side hill.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

id go with a good pair of hiking boots over a "marketed hunting boot" like the Irish setters, Danners, under armor and so on
    I'm literally starting to phase out all my kuiu stuff for top quality hiking gear.
    Scarpa, lowa, hanwaag, la sportiva, salewa all good quality brands, find a boot that fits your foot.

Quote Originally Posted by madcalfe View Post
    id go with a good pair of hiking boots over a "marketed hunting boot" like the Irish setters, Danners, under armor and so on
    I'm literally starting to phase out all my kuiu stuff for top quality hiking gear.
    Scarpa, lowa, hanwaag, la sportiva, salewa all good quality brands, find a boot that fits your foot.
    just curious, Is there any particular reason you’re getting out of the kuiu game and into something else? From what I’ve seen their gear seems as good as any good quality hiking gear, but probably more expensive.

I have a mix of hunting and hiking gear. I do like the looks of the Sitka dew point jacket and I may pick one up, but it would be roughly the same cost and quality of a good quality arcteryx or similar.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I have used the same pair of Lowa Tibet’s for the last 6 years and they’re still going strong, if you take care of them they should last a long time. Mine don’t leak at all, even though I wear them a lot in the island downpours slipping through mushy bog, and they kept my feet warm with a good pair of wool socks when that cold snap hit back in October and it was -25 with 2 feet of snow.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Boots are definitely a personal thing, they need to fit period.

I use Helly Hansen Odin HT hikers, waterproof, stiff, fairly light and warm, I wear them from Sept to Dec, haven't found a better boot for me yet.

7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

some good points on getting hiking boots designed for hiking with weight, rather than just branded "hunting" boots. I think weight is a massive variable too, especially when going up or covering long distances. It's one thing to get bomb proof footwear, but I would almost prioritize light weight and maybe a bit less durable over something that will last 20 years. especially if you are racking up km's by foot getting way back still hunting or spot and stalk. I would say that waterproof weight, ankle support and rigidity are top of the list for me.

“Hiking boot” is to vague..

“Back Packing” boot is more specific to a Hunters need

of carrying weight over EVERY type of terrain..

I purchased the Salomon 4d for its light weight and breath ability during

the hot early September days.

Not impressed at all with ankle support under weight.

I have the Scarpa sl active for general hunting, highly recommend!

What is most important though is finding a boot that fits your foot

like a glove, and always get a half size larger to accommodate foot swell,

another layer of socks, or heading down hill with weight.

Ive lost both big toe nails with the later problem.

Took close to a year for them to regenerate...
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Boots are definitely a personal thing, they need to fit period.

I use Helly Hansen Odin HT hikers, waterproof, stiff, fairly light and warm, I wear them from Sept to Dec, haven't found a better boot for me yet.

Do you know the insulation weight by chance? I have the worst feet. They sweat in September and freeze in December.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    I would wear what works best for you and forget what they say they should be used for.

bhb
    This ^^^^^^^
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    just curious, Is there any particular reason you’re getting out of the kuiu game and into something else? From what I’ve seen their gear seems as good as any good quality hiking gear, but probably more expensive.

I have a mix of hunting and hiking gear. I do like the looks of the Sitka dew point jacket and I may pick one up, but it would be roughly the same cost and quality of a good quality arcteryx or similar.
    not really a particular reason. i have about every pant kuiu makes and only really use 2 of them but have decided this year im switching to fjallraven keb pants.(they are unbelievably comfortable) ill still be using my kuiu yukon rain gear because its done me so good. and my puffy jacket is a arcteryx. just switching to earth tone colors and wanting something that isn't hunting specific