Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hiking boots vs hunting boots

Re: Hiking boots vs hunting boots

I have some scarpa's that are around 10 years old, they are dedicated mountain hunting boots. They are stiff and very good in the steep. I have some lowa's for general hiking/hunting, they are about 6 years old now. I like the lowa's for elk n deer type hunts. They are also back up boots in the truck if needed on a sheep hunt.
    Barnes ttsx, the four pedals of death that lead to great a great BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I think the big difference comes down to if you’re packing a load on multi day trips, or hiking with a day bag looking for animals. If you’re packing a heavy bag then I’d go with a good rigid mountain boot and if you’re day hunting I’d go with whatever is comfortable, waterproof and decent ankle support.
    This is the difference. Take a nice hiking, or driving boot and get on to rock and steep sidehill, then add a load on it, and a boot that doesn't have sideways rigidity is going to just be destroyed in no time at all. I've used the Asolo boot for a long time. And they hold up. I've tried North Face, and they didn't last past the first pack out. I have not found success with marketing that says, they're gortex and waterproof. Waterproof is thick leather (Asolo) warmed up in the sunshine without laces and copious quantities of Snowseal applied and left to soak in. I have not used the Scarpa, but a lot of guys I know do use them with very good long term results. I do notice when hiking with friends, the Scarpa squeak a bit. Not sure if others have noticed that.

I’ll add one more thing. Mountain boots tend to be heavier and more expensive than “hiking boots”. So buy what fits the bill.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

No difference

I love my Crispi Nevada's they're so comfortable. I've only had them for a year but I didn't even break them in and I had no issues whatsoever.

I wouldn’t get gortex lined boots. The gortex can break down and leak. A good full grain leather boot that is properly treated will keep your feet dry. I switched to Obenaufs (Cabelas sells it). It is by far the best waterproofing/ leather maintenance product I have ever used.

I walked the soles off a pair of Lowa Tibet over several years. I sent them back to the manufacturer and for $150 they resoled, replaced the rand, treated the leather, new laces and new insoles. Like a new pair of boots and fit like a slipper.

Ask about resoling when shopping for boots.

I really liked the lowa renegades. Very comfy and paste me 6+ years of forestry,hiking and hunting use. Not insulated so not for cold weather but for fall they were awesome

Kennetrek mountain extremes in my opinion is the best mountain hunting boot you can by.

Buy what fits you best and you’ve had success with. I can buy Solomons just by size without trying them on. They are that consistent. Same goes for La Sportiva. My mountain boots are Sportivas that I’ve had for close to 20 years. They only get a handful of days per year, but they are amazing boots. My previous ones lasted 10 years with more like 50 days per year and were still fantastic but some dickhead broke in to my trailer and stole the right boot, along with the right of my Daytons. I told the cops to find a one legged crack head in Squamish and they’d have their man...

Back on topic though, OP- if your Solomons work for you, just stick with them!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.