Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8-14 Spring Bear

8-14 Spring Bear

Hey guys,
    I’m looking for some advice in regards to the Christian Valley and it’s black bear population. I’m lucky enough to be able to stay at a recreational property near the Double E Sportmen’s Camp, however it’s a small property and I won’t be hunting on it. I hunted spring bear around that area for 3 weekends last year, and didn’t see a bear and not as much sign as I figured I would. I do most of my hunting on foot.
    I’m curious, if you know the area, would you recommend sticking around the logging roads this KM (20-30 KM) on the Christian Valley road or continue on past it around the 50-60km mark? (Not looking for honey holes at all)
    I’m just curious about the bear for now and still need to do more scouting in regards to whitetail.
    Thank you for any help.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 8-14 Spring Bear

Bears...... Drive or atv older roads. Lower elevation. Where the clover grows on the sides. Don’t walk for bears. Don’t come from the city until the grass is greener here!

I don’t know if it’s just me but we saw a lot fewer bears in 8-14 last year then in years past. Don’t know if that was just my luck but saw a lot more bears 2 or 3 years ago then we did last year. Still a fair bit of snow just off valley bottom.

when does it start picking up in 8-12 / 8-14? I will be hunting from 3,800 to -4,500 feet in these two regions for the first time this spring, and am wondering whether late april, early May or mid may would generally be best.

Beaverdale has bears

Quote Originally Posted by Dour View Post
    Beaverdale has bears
    Excuse me - those are not always bears - they could be my cousins. Please be certain - even if they aren't wearing clothes. Cousins aren't always walking on their legs - sometimes they doin' the Beaverdale Crawl.

Seems like a milder March than average. I was up skiing Silver Star earlier this week, wondering why they had most of the 'backside' Putnam Creek runs closed. Thought it might be because of freeze/thaw bullet proof skating rink conditions, but a good number of runs are south facing back there. Ran into a couple patrollers & they said it was roped off because of a bear. We're talking some elevation here, say 1,000 meters at least. They coming out looking for eats. Silver Star is north of 8-14.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5 View Post
    when does it start picking up in 8-12 / 8-14? I will be hunting from 3,800 to -4,500 feet in these two regions for the first time this spring, and am wondering whether late april, early May or mid may would generally be best.
    May long weekend is always a good time. Down side is it is getting warm. So if it is sunny the bears will go into the trees to stay cool. And you also need to be a little concerned about getting the meat home so it wont spoil.
    Look for old deactivated roads that have clover growing because bears love it.
    Personally (partially because of my knees and back) I drive 70% and walk the rest. Spot and stalk has worked well for me.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

Not many black bears in the valley compared to other areas closer to Kelowna. Lots more grizzly bears in the area though and several problem bears causing issues with hunters and land owners. The Christian valley wouldn’t be my first choice for a black bear.

I’ve hunted up there, and saw bears. Good luck and stay safe