Thread: You don't see this every day

You don't see this every day

This afternoon my buddy and I went to his friend's field to do some patterning on some shotgun shells. When we were finished gathering the papers that we shot at and were looking on the grass for spent hulls I asked him if he saw where the dogs went. They had previously scared a bunch of ducks out of this channel of water at the far edge of the field so we thought they were likely over there.

I tweeted on the whistle,,,,,nothing. Twenty seconds later I repeated the 3 tweets a second time and sure enough the dogs came from the channel of water. When the dogs were about 75 yards away from us I realized Sako was carrying a duck back to us in her mouth, just as proud as she could be. My buddy said, "It looks like she found a dead duck" but I could tell by the way the head of the duck was sticking straight out that it wasn't dead.

She delivered it to me and we checked it out. Nothing seemed wrong with it but we figured one of its wings had to be injured in order for Sako to catch it. Both wings seemed okay, though, so we thought we'd take it over to the water to release it.

I gently tossed the duck to the water but as soon as the mallard left my hand off it flew. We were surprised to say the least! At that point Sako was looking at me with a "WTF are you doing? I thought the idea of being out here was to get ducks."

Last edited by mastercaster; 03-15-2021 at 08:24 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: You don't see this every day

the duck knew the season was closed so it was finally getting to have a late morning sleep in..heheh

Very cool!!!! Thanks for sharing

Great story; I like the other dog sitting in the background, just like some of those Far side cartoons that have been posted.
    Statement of honour bestowed upon me by Camp Cook:
    LOL that has to be one of the stup*dest mind numbing off in laa laa land comments I have ever read.
    Feb.13,2024