Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BCWF Moose Webinar March 31

BCWF Moose Webinar March 31

Factors Affecting Moose Populations in Interior B.C.

Details

Join us for our next webinar in our Conservation Webinar Series “Factors Affecting Moose Populations in Interior B.C.” on March 31, from 07:00 – 08:30 p.m. on Zoom.
    Chris Procter, Senior Wildlife Biologist at the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations & Rural Development, Fish and Wildlife – Kamloops will be presenting on:
    • Update on ongoing moose research in interior B.C.
    • Effects of landscape change on moose – results and recommendations to date
    • Factors affecting moose population change
    • Next steps
    Register for the Zoom webinar here. Stay tuned for the Facebook Live link!
    FAQ

I am interested in attending the webinar but unable to join on March 31. Will the webinar be recorded?
    Yes! The webinar will be recorded and made available on YouTube in our BCWF Conservation Webinar Series Playlist and in the tab ‘Live’ on Facebook. We also link to the recordings of all previous webinars on our Conservation Webinar Series webpage.
    I have registered for the Zoom webinar but I am unable to attend. How do I receive a recording of the webinar?
    No problem, 24 hours after the Zoom webinar has ended, all registrants will receive an email with the link to the recording on YouTube and Facebook Live video.
    Will my questions be responded to?
    We give our best to respond to all questions coming in from Zoom and Facebook during the webinar. However, due to time constraints, we offer to collect the questions that were not responded to and upload the responses to them after the webinar on the Conservation Webinar Series webpage under “Previous Webinars”.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BCWF Moose Webinar March 31

Bump to the top. This webinar series is great way to get knowledge about what the government is doing about moose.
    Rob Chipman

Do I have to listen to all that to hear that human overpopulation is destroying moose population?
    And we should stop using the term "Habitat loss" like habitat loses itself.
    It's human overpopulation.
    Tell it like it is.
    Last edited by adriaticum; 03-16-2021 at 11:10 AM.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Do I have to listen to all that to hear that human overpopulation is destroying moose population?
    And we should stop using the term "Habitat loss" like habitat loses itself.
    It's human overpopulation.
    Tell it like it is.
    Really?

Sweden- 23 people/km2 with ~350,000 moose
    BC - 5.1 people/km2 with ~150,000 moose
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Really?

BC - 5.1 people/km2 with ~150,000 moose
    Yes sir.
    That IS the truth.
    Habitat loss, deforestation, human encroachment, human/wildlife conflict those are all words that mean overpopulation.
    That may not mean over population in BC.
    BC does not exist in a vacuum. Demand for lumber that causes deforestation in BC is not fueled by population growth and construction in BC.
    But by population growth around the world. China, Japan, USA.

The world does not exist in a vacuum.
    Overfishing in BC was not caused by overpopulation of BC, but by over population in China, Japan and the rest of the world who are largest importers of BC fish products.
    Salmon population in BC could easily support BC consumption.
    The problem becomes when someone decides to make money by selling a resource to supply foreign demand.
    Globalization is the biggest scam perpertrated on earth in the 20th century.
    When we allowed foreign companies and foreign demand to exploit local resources.
    Globalization was created when countries started running out of resources and need to be able to exploit resources of other continents.

The next biggest scam is Climate change.
    Also created by human overpopulation.
    They will keep inventing creative ways to part fools and their money.
    Time we faced the truth.
    1. Human over population

"we should stop using the term "Habitat loss" like habitat loses itself." Not a bad point. Similar to "wildlife management" - it's not really managing wildlife, is it? It's managing the fallout from human activity. It may indeed be good to re-think some of these terms.

"
    BC - 5.1 people/km2 with ~150,000 moose"

That reminds me of something I heard (or read) by Valerius Geist. He asserted that people maintain and preserve what they value, and used Sweden vs Canada as an example. The idea is that, despite what hunters and conservationists say, the larger "we" in Canada don't really value moose, and this is proved by the results.

So, I'm not sure Adriaticum and 325 are actually in disagreement.
    Rob Chipman

I am sure there is something we can learn from Sweden if they harverst 30 percent of their moose every year and their population keeps steady.
    I don't know what specific policy it is.
    Maybe they don't export the same amount of lumber, or harvest it differently, or maybe it's related more to management of moose themselves.
    Perhaps if we have a swede who speaks the language they can get educated on the subject.

Albeit, according to what I read, they have 350,000 moose and every year they harvest 100,000.
    That's interesting for sure.
    1. Human over population

Just a guess here on the apparent 30% harvest rate on moose. This seems excessively high by BC standards, but I wonder if you compared confounding factors between BC and Sweden if it would make a bit more sense. I wonder what the predator / prey ratio is in Sweden. Just a guess, but I bet it's lower. I wonder what the tick situation is? I wonder if the timber companies are spraying there, cutting down on browse. I don't know the answers to these, but will be looking forward to asking these questions on the call.

As a newer hunter, I have to say it is a bit frustrating when I compare moose populations between Sweden and BC, Elk populations between Idaho and BC etc. It isn't a failure of our ecosystem, but more likely a failure in management, lack of political willpower and a lack of financial resources.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5 View Post
    Just a guess here on the apparent 30% harvest rate on moose. This seems excessively high by BC standards, but I wonder if you compared confounding factors between BC and Sweden if it would make a bit more sense. I wonder what the predator / prey ratio is in Sweden. Just a guess, but I bet it's lower. I wonder what the tick situation is? I wonder if the timber companies are spraying there, cutting down on browse. I don't know the answers to these, but will be looking forward to asking these questions on the call.

As a newer hunter, I have to say it is a bit frustrating when I compare moose populations between Sweden and BC, Elk populations between Idaho and BC etc. It isn't a failure of our ecosystem, but more likely a failure in management, lack of political willpower and a lack of financial resources.

It's all a failure of management.
    Sweden, Idaho, BC, they all have timber and forestry industry, ticks, predators and prey.
    It's the combined effects of management of all of them that causes the problem.

Canada used to be the largest exporter of softwood lumber in the world.
    1. Human over population

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5 View Post

I think you're saying two things at once: there are issues like ticks, predators, logging and spraying, as if Sweden has an easier time than BC, but then allowing that if its *not* a failure of the ecosystem then the cause is lack of political willpower and finances.

It is the latter, not the former. The reason I say that is because the quote arises with Dr. Valerius Geist, who said "A society that wants a lot of moose will get a lot of moose. Look at Sweden". The idea is that the choices are made first, and the challenges are addressed afterwards.

We value resource extraction more than we value fish and wildlife. That is why we log so much, build roads so much, destroy habitat so much. The society we're in chooses to do that rather than have more wildlife. That's why our provincial wildlife management budget is a rounding error in relation to the whole provincial budget. We'll spend more on one bike lane than we will on efforts to preserve bighorn sheep.
    Rob Chipman