Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Haida Gwaii/Queen Charlott Trip in Sept 2021 want info on tags temps and where to go.

Re: Haida Gwaii/Queen Charlott Trip in Sept 2021 want info on tags temps and where to

Coulton must have made allot of money on the food hunt program,Nothing survives when he is around.

Re: Haida Gwaii/Queen Charlott Trip in Sept 2021 want info on tags temps and where to

Perhaps 8 years ago, five of us, all seasoned BC and international hunters went to the Charlottes. Stayed in QC and rented a truck. Two of the group drove over from Rupert. We drove, glassed and hiked for 5 days all over the North Island seeing exactly two bucks, one a spike and the other was in the ferry parking lot. We actually flew out two days early as there was nothing to hunt there. I think I had bought 5 tags... Good luck to you guys.
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

Quote Originally Posted by pro 111 View Post
    Last year the bands paid 100 per deer for a food hunt program due to covid. Every doe fawn and buck avaible anywhere you could drive got shot. This time of year there ususlly all over the place after the seasons over.
    not this year. Hardly any. Theres your update. Not gonna get into the politics. Lol.
    Phucking BS - Eh ! Sad again ! RJ

I used to go every year and get a few deer walking on the logging road mainline between Port Clements and Queen Charlotte City. I avoided Hwy 16 because too many homes nearby. The hotel in Masset is nice, or was when I went. In 2018, I hunted for a few days and saw no deer. Lots of bones though. I think the population crashed, probably because of competition for food combined with a hard winter the previous year. Maybe the numbers will come back since the islands have been closed to outsiders for over a year. The Natives hunt the deer for food. Most of the locals are also friendly to outsiders and I never had any issue. Tags can be had at the government agent office. Maybe online too.

I have been twice. First trip in late 90's was a blast. Went back in 2019 whole different story. NO DEER. Seafood.... You would thing your buying drugs. I would do something else with your money.

Hmmm glad I came across this post... I was actually thinking of making a trip out to HG this fall as I had heard so many good things about the hunting there... Guess more research is needed...

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail 270 View Post
    End of Nov hunting during the rut on the island is a blast. One of my favorite hunts. I go there to to fill my freezer with beautiful blacktail meat. It really is the best I've eaten and I shoot does and bucks. Camp by the inlets and bring a boat to set some crab and shrimp traps. Picked up some deer off the secluded beaches while dropping the traps and going for a shore cruise. During that time the ferry has a longer sailing schedule and so I stay for about a week. It rains a lot and the temps are all over the map so the last trip we brought a small freezer and a gen. I wouldn't go without one anymore, as all the meat is taken care of. We quarter and take all the neck, tenderloins, and backstraps off. Wrap each quarter in cling wrap as well cling wrap the backstraps and tenderloins together for meal size. Freeze in pieces along with evidence of sex, ie. head, and once frozen, put one deer in a construction garbage bag and keep it frozen until you get home. Once home, vac seal each piece whole and leave frozen until ready to thaw. The deer are small and take up little room this way and if you get stopped by the CO's, your deer are easily separated and identified. Newer cut bocks that are lower in elevation, close to the beaches, seam to produce the most deer. Although, I have not hunted high up in the mountain tops as that is probably where the bigger bucks hide out. They are Blacktails... Go there with an adventure attitude and with respect for all the people that live there. Follow the regs and the islands no shooting areas. Most important is not to leave a mess of carcasses when you leave and respect the place. The island really is an amazing place and beautiful place to visit.
    Please be aware that a deer's head is NOT evidence of sex. You must leave the genitals attached.

With all the opposition to the fishing resorts during covid I wonder how friendly your welcome will be there now?
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Bought all my tags for the year today, and was reading some of literature on hunting during COVID. There was a notation about QCI deer, namely that the tags wouldn’t be available online, must be bought in person in the Charlottes. Puts the brakes on blacktails unless you live there.

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy View Post
    Please be aware that a deer's head is NOT evidence of sex. You must leave the genitals attached.
    Yup. Page 20 of the regulations . You have to leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass the unskinned tail and the a testicle or part of the penis of if the animal is female a a portion of the udder and teats.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sp...-2020-2022.pdf