Thread: Goose can be mean!

Goose can be mean!

I'm surprised how docile geese are once they are caught by a dog and being brought back to the blind by a dog. They almost play possum. You'd think they would give it their all to escape,,,,but I haven't seen it happen.

Thought for sure this goose would be poking my buddy's DD on the way back but nope!

Now, get in the way of a mother goose and her goslings and that's another story!

https://youtu.be/v9IZvDFX224
    Last edited by mastercaster; 03-12-2021 at 08:56 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Goose can be mean!

Yah but I have seen geese dingbat a young dog so they never picked up a bird again. My advice is give a pup a year on ducks then start them on geese slowly with training birds. Judt because a pup retrieves well does not mean it should be put on geese. Its a process
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Yah but I have seen geese dingbat a young dog so they never picked up a bird again. My advice is give a pup a year on ducks then start them on geese slowly with training birds. Judt because a pup retrieves well does not mean it should be put on geese. Its a process
    I remember the first pheasant I shot over my 4 month Brittany wasn't dead and it beat her up enough with its spurs that she wouldn't pick them up from that point on but she never lost a bird. She would just go to them and pin them down with her front paws if they were still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Yep, had no idea of that with my first chocolate lab. Got real lucky with him on his first goose retrieve, when the guy a blind over knocked down a big gander and his 2 year old yellow got pecked in the eye before my 12 month old lab got there. Met the guy in the marshes for a few years after that, that yellow never retrieved another goose after that. My lab grew up with nasty fighting cats so when the goose tried to peck him he figured he was playing and ducked and dodged before grabbing him by a wing and dragging him out of the brush. That dog would play sometimes with stuff after that, jumping in and bumping stuff with his nose like an angry goose for the rest of his life.

Bet that Canada Goose Played Hockey and lived in Canada, put a good ol' smack down on the opponent. TAKE THAT !
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Thought for sure my buddy's DD was going to be pecked in the head a few times when he brought this goose back but he didn't. It was hissing at him the whole time.

At the end of that same hunt when we were out of the blind getting ready to clean up my buddy took a Hail Mary at a high flying goose that he actually hit that started gliding down into a field beside ours so the dogs started running after it. My griff started out distancing the DD about 100 yards into it and kept gaining on him as she made her way to the the goose that eventually landed.

As Sako got closer to it the dang thing started running for its life but my dog tackled it about fifty yards further away. I thought my 50 pound griff might yield to the much larger 85 lb. DD when he arrived but he knew it was her bird. Sako carried that goose the whole 350+ yards back. Not bad I thought for a pencil neck griff. Thought that goose was dead by the time she got it to me because it was limp so I tossed it with the others.

Nope,,,,it was still alive! As soon as it hit the ground off it ran again only to be captured again by Sako. The whole time back that goose was just playing possum and didn't put up a fuss at all until I put the finisher to the back of its skull. Then its wings and feet almost beat me up. haha

On another note, I'm not sure there's anything a bird dog likes more than chasing down a cripple that's trying to run or get airborne again. It's pretty damn entertaining to us hunters, as well.