Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarp and Bivy for elk

Tarp and Bivy for elk

I see lots of Americans using this setup... it has me thinking of buying a seek outside dst tarp and a Bivy for elk hunting through the month of September. Anyone in BC using this system much? I’m going to spend more nights on the hill this year vs base camp... it will equal more sleep on those long days and short nights in September , and being in the game right away vs sneaking in during the dark of the morning. Also like to keep it simple and quick for weekend hunts.

what’s your experience with this system in BC? I’d rather not spend 600 bucks on a super UL tent , and throw a few more bucks towards a hilleberg for goat and sheep hunts. Tarp and Bivy seems simple , light, and economical.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tarp and Bivy for elk

I think if you picked your days you’d be ok and expected to hike back to your base camp if the weather starts to turn. Absolutely no shelter from bugs, you may have to sleep ina mosquito net.

I did witness a guy sleep in something similar on the edge of the alpine in a sleet/snow storm in July. he said he liked the setup and wouldn’t have it any other way for going solo, but it didn’t look that comfy to me. There’s no way he wasn’t getting rained on and his gear was exposed too and after he got up in the morning his ground sheet, bivy or mattress would’ve been covered in mud. I had my kid and my mom with me on that trip, I set up our tent and put them inside while I warmed up food and tried to dry out some boots and essentials with my jetboil.

I think it really comes down to the level of comfort you’re willing to sacrifice. A good sleep goes a long ways.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I’m thinking 1-2 nights Bivy 1 night base camp. Definitely wouldn’t be a week long hunt

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    I see lots of Americans using this setup... it has me thinking of buying a seek outside dst tarp and a Bivy for elk hunting through the month of September. Anyone in BC using this system much? I’m going to spend more nights on the hill this year vs base camp... it will equal more sleep on those long days and short nights in September , and being in the game right away vs sneaking in during the dark of the morning. Also like to keep it simple and quick for weekend hunts.

what’s your experience with this system in BC? I’d rather not spend 600 bucks on a super UL tent , and throw a few more bucks towards a hilleberg for goat and sheep hunts. Tarp and Bivy seems simple , light, and economical.
    Come on 6 mill poly and a pice of rope.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post

Out of curiosity, what kind of Hille are you saving towards? I'd guess between tarp and bivy you'd still be 2-2.5lbs? My Hille Akto is 3.5lbs, personally I'd save the bucks on the tarp/bivy and just throw it towards the tent if you're looking at a 1 man type set up.

If not and you're going for one of the heavier, bigger Hilles then I'd say your thinkings probably pretty sound. Plus the tarp could be doubled up as a glassing shelter on goat/sheep hunts to?
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

I think a DST and a bug bivy would be a fast and light setup for sure. I know that I looked at the same concept for sheep and staying in close to elk, but started thinking more along the lines of LBO Base and nest. As long as you aren't set up into the wind even if it did rain you would likely be pretty dry. That said, maybe nest isn't really a big deal. I know we packed the nest I bought with my Cimarron on sheep trips and elk trips last fall, and never used it... That said, you could be around 8oz with a bug nest bivy and all in under 2lbs for your shelter.

Personally though, I can't warm up to going just tarp. Had too many days spent under a tarp in the rain glassing for sheep watching moisture collect from the air to be comfortable enough to roll out my sleeping bag in that environment. Whether it is actually a concern or not is one thing, but the mental aspect of it would likely weigh on my mind. That said, clear nights, I could see the attraction for sure, especially if you had the ability to get things dried out back at base camp.

@porthunter
    i love the idea of the atko but I’m 6’3 , so I was thinking of Nallo 3, palace if solo and get tent bound , or split the weight when hunting with a partner. Tarp could double was my thinking on back pack hunts.

@kodiak that sounds like a great setup. The tarp attracts me as a versatile piece of gear and a cheap ultra light setup. Realistically would favour dry September nights for sleeping under tarp.

I have the Megatarp which is technically fully enclosed. No issues through the season once the bugs are gone (wouldn't do it earlier in the summer though). My bivy bag is more for a backup or in case of extreme weather but once you get used to the no floor it is really nice.

I think the tarp bivy is great for a quick fast overnighter....when the weather is great. I have used both this system and a tent on the same trip up the tuchodie one time. Shot an elk minutes before dark with my tarp about 350-400m away. Base camp was about 3 hours down the mountain at the river.

I’ve done quite a few tarp & bivy camps on hunts. Nice and simple/light but kinda miserable if the weather goes to shit.

4 or 5 years ago I picked up a black diamond mega light, basically a zippered & vented pyramid tarp. I had some extra guy loops attached. It sheds snow pretty well, tons of room inside, and super light. I prefer it to a tent or tarp for most situations, but you really need to anchor it well in high winds.