Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Cimarron-who has one?

Re: Cimarron-who has one?

Is there an outside temperature when condensation in tents like the Cimmaron/Redcliff starts to be a real issue to the point where a liner would be a must have item?
    The World is run by those that show up.

I have a half nest for mine. With my wife and I in the summer heat there was condensation as well as in October with my son and no stove and temperatures around freezing. Solo in October and November a little below freezing and a little above there was condensation with a stove but not too much. I noticed when the stove is going, the bottom foot of the walls still had condensation but the rest was dry.
    Basically there's condensation whenever you use it but I think a lot of it comes from how wet the ground might be when you set it up. I usually had the bottom of the door opened 10" or so to let fresh air in.
    So far I'm not thrilled with the condensation but having a stove is pretty amazing. I could sit on top of my sleeping bag at night in a T-shirt and read while the weather outside sucked. Since I was camping next to the truck I found I could get it hot with a fire log for a few hours and then put another one in and dampen it off and it would still be warm in the morning.

Condensation isn't as big of an issue as some people think.

Run the sides about 4 inches above the ground, and open the top zipper for airflow. If so, condensation becomes very manageable.
    And if it's raining, then condensation isn't an issue and you're more concerned with ground seep, so make sure not to setup in low lying areas.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Thanks for the info 604 / KBC.
    The World is run by those that show up.

No problem. I’m going to pick up some of the extensions they have to try pitching it up off the ground as 604 mentioned.

What kind of extensions are those?

Maybe I just run longer stakes then most, but my Cimmarron is "stock" and the height off the ground really just depends on how deep I run my stakes and what tension I put on the guy-lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Iltasyuko View Post
    Np, hope it helps.

I love having a flourless shelter, once you get comfortable and dialled in with it, I think it's the easiest sleep shelter to use.

I bought the liner, nest and pole hitch, haven’t used any of them.

The condensation is always there. Like most others have figured out, if you pitch it like a tarp with lots of airflow than you won’t have condensation, but you’ll also have lots of airflow if it’s windy and you will be considerably colder than in a three season. The only time the condensation has bothered me is when I had my two kids with me and lightening storm was swirling around us. The heavy rain and wind was knocking the dew off the inside and splattering it all over my face and sleeping bag. If I would’ve propped the sides up that day it wouldn’t have helped. I’ve been in rain storms like that with my 3 season tents and stayed considerably drier, but the three seasons don’t offer the room to play cards, bs or cook when the weather is like that. So yeah, the liner might be a good purchase if you plan on using it in shitty weather.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Iltasyuko View Post
    If you want one more tip, maybe two. Lol

Buy yourself a collection of tent pegs. I thought the pegs they sent in the bag were made by msr, but a bunch of them bent in half when I was setting it up on my lawn. I bought a collection of different ones so I’m good in soft ground or hard. Ground hogs, mini ground hogs and the straight ones with the hook.

Look for an appropriate sized ground sheet from one of the other tent manufacturers. It’ll be lighter and more packable. I use the ground sheet from my 3 man elixir and it works well. You can usually find them on sale if you’re not picky on brand.
    Last edited by Bustercluck; 12-15-2021 at 09:27 PM.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by 604ksmith View Post
    What kind of extensions are those?

Maybe I just run longer stakes then most, but my Cimmarron is "stock" and the height off the ground really just depends on how deep I run my stakes and what tension I put on the guy-lines.
    SO calls them gate keepers. Basically they just attach to the loops so you can pitch it higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Buy yourself a collection of tent pegs. I thought the pegs they sent in the bag were made by msr, but a bunch of them bent in half when I was setting it up on my lawn. I bought a collection of different ones so I’m good in soft ground or hard. Ground hogs, mini ground hogs and the straight ones with the hook.
    This is a great tip. The pegs they come with work about 60% of the time, every time... On softer ground they are too short and rocky ground I've bent a few.