Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cimarron-who has one?

Re: Cimarron-who has one?

I'm pretty sure the tents are made overseas, but from what I've read the quality is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by grantk View Post
    I'm pretty sure the tents are made overseas, but from what I've read the quality is very good.
    That might be a deal breaker for me. I hate buying from China, no matter what the quality is like.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

The lite tents are made In Asia

I just ordered a cimmaron, large stove, and half nest and the final bill was just north of $1400. No bug net. They estimated 4-6 weeks shipping time so I should be able to test it out this bear season

Quote Originally Posted by CVMike View Post
    I just ordered a cimmaron, large stove, and half nest and the final bill was just north of $1400. No bug net. They estimated 4-6 weeks shipping time so I should be able to test it out this bear season
    Yikes! I like my Cimarron, but even at the $900 I paid for mine I shake my head every time I setup at the cost for what is essentially a shaped tarp and pole. I'm all for supporting made in NA stuff, but when you can buy two of the LiteOutdoors tents and the stove for the same price, supporting a Canadian entreprenuer, it gets pretty tough to justify.

I’m interested in the lite outdoors Isola 4. I have not seen one in person but they look pretty nice

Plateau 5 with carbon pole is $610 cad compared to the cimarron which is probably the closest in size at $495 usd($616 canadian Pesos) plus shipping and duty.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I think you forgot to select the stove jack option on the cimmaron. The single door version with stove jack and carbon pole is $685 cad plus shipping, and it still needs a couple hours of seam sealing work once it arrives.

Anyone used both for an inside space comparison? The LO tents have steeper walls than the SO tents, how does this translate to usable space inside? The Plateau 5 has about 20% more floor space than the cimarron, plus an extra foot of headroom. The Isola 4 is about 20% smaller footprint but the same height.

I ran both the Eolus and the Cimarron last season.
    Here's my strategy for using them throughout the season.

Eolus: (canopy, cordage, stakes) 1.41 lbs: (/w nest) 2.63 lbs

I want a fast and light setup for use with trekking poles. Great for solo missions, with wifey or hunting buddy.
    Spring bear, summer scouting I use the nest. Nest is a must for intense summer bugs.
    Later season I can go floorless conditions permitting. Makes for a very light setup.
    I plan to sleep peacefully in the nest during tick season. After watching Gritty's spring bear hunts with ticks crawling over their sleeping bags, yeah no thanks.
    The nest is also nice when it's cold and breezy as it cuts the draft a bit.
    Eolus with its gap to ground has good airflow and reduces condensation.
    Easy to pack up and move on everyday. If I'm staying in same spot more than one day, I can easily cut two poles using my little SAK saw and free up my trekking poles.
    Generally, days are long, nights are short, so I'm in the shelter mainly to sleep.

Cimarron: (canopy, stakes, cordage, carbon pole) 3.44 lbs (/w large u-turn stove) 5.56 lbs

The use for this setup starts to become preferable when the days are shorter, nights are longer and bugs are done.
    When there is more chance of dealing with wet and/or cold weather, I go for the hot tent setup.
    I'm generally going to pick a spot where I can set up the tipi/stove for more than one day since it's a bit more work packing and unpacking.
    Footprint you're looking at 8"x10" but floorless is more forgiving with twigs, roots, rocks and bumps.
    I went with 2 door model thinking it would be nice to have a second exit in case of high wind /w rain and second door is nice for stacking wood.
    Carbon pole is no brainer to setup and weight is minimal.

I have to say that all 3 deer I got this season were directly possible because of the Cimarron /w stove.
    1st one was during a nasty weekend that cleared up momentarily Sunday evening to Monday morning. Then rain started again.
    I glassed him at last light for 10 seconds and put him down at first light.
    I would not have bothered to be out that whole weekend in those miserable conditions without the comfort of the wood stove.

2nd deer was packed out during a snow storm. Again having that wood stove to come back to at 12am is game changer.
    3rd was 6 days spent in late november including a snow storm towards the end.
    Without a comfy wood stove while chillin in my base layers and looking over maps making plans for the next day, no way am I spending all those cold nights in a damp tent with damp gear.
    One of my favorite advantages of floorless is to roll over, unzip and pee out of your sleeping bag. It just disappears into the ground and back to sleep you go.

Hopefully this helps a bit when deciding on all the options for your setup.