Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cimarron-who has one?

Cimarron-who has one?

I’m in the market for a new tent. I was going to get another msr 3 man hubba, but after reading some reviews of the new model and looking at the price I’m thinking of going a different route. Some of my concerns about a tipi or semi free-standing tent is being able to stake it out anywhere. I tend to move around quite a bit and sometimes find myself scrambling to get camp set up late In the day which usually happens to be inclement weather. Condensation? I think it would be good for heading out late season with a stove, but I don’t think it will work for some of the family trips/backcountry camping trips where the tent pads aren’t very big.

Who’s using one of these? Pros cons?
    Are they duty exempt? How much was it all in?
    Are you using the liner?
    is it hard to find a spot big enough to pitch it? I think they’re around 10’ wide. Do you use it as more of a base camp and do day hikes from your tent?
    I’m assuming you need to use the carbon pole they sell. Or can you use the trekking pole adapter thing they sell?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cimarron-who has one?

I've had one for 3 years now and love it.

Pros:
    - Very simple to setup
    - Having no floor is now considered a luxury (no worry about taking off boots, keeping tent clean etc..)
    - Withstands wind/rain/snow well
    - Lots of room for 2 guys and a stove, or 3 guys and no stove.
    - Can leave the pole at home and find/cut a branch (or use trekking poles) to use as the centre pole.
    - With no pole it then stuffs literally anywhere in your pack
    - Warranty is great. I haven't used mine, but a friend had theirs tear. It was replaced for free, no questions asked, and he bought it used.

Cons:
    - You will have to convince your buddies they won't die without a floor
    - Mosquitos will drive you insane if you use it before the first good frost. Spring bear or scouting trips require headnet, or the like
    - Condensation will definitely occur, however I've never had it be an issue with my bags (synthetic or hydrophobic down bags)

I don't use a liner as I felt that I wanted the simplest tipi possible, and sorry I can't remember the price.
    I use mine for everything. Late season hunts with the stove, spring bear/scout trips, and atv trips.
    I find it easy to find an area large enough to pitch at all. With no floor, you can pitch in areas I wouldn't want a tent in (shale and gravel).
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Thanks for that. I’m guessing it’s not worth getting the mosquito net on the door?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I have the redcliff and use it a few times now. Have the liners which are nice.

I have the net as well but haven't used it yet. Possibly with family but wouldn't pack that thing in for a hunt.
    If you are using for hunting only then I wouldn't bother, but be 100% about that decision because shipping isn't cheap.

If I was going to do it again, I'd likely buy two half nests and not the full nest. The full was more of a family decision, but I'd consider packing the half nest and half liner on a hunt.

I use the redcliff for a mobile 3 man elk hunting camp. I run the liners and 1/2 nest on one side. On the other side I have a one man nest from 6 moon designs. This allows safe use of a stove. We pack a 3 w stove. This is an amazing set up. Its tight with 3 guys but very manageable. The entire camp can be set up in 10 mins, weighs about 8 lbs total. We find the trick to pitching is just to make sure the nests are on level ground. Beyond that you can set this up almost anywhere.

Buster.....where are you located? I'm in Armstrong, if you're close u r welcome to check out my Cimarron and SXL Stove so u know what it's like. If you're not close we can discuss via phone call. PM me.

I don't have the Cimarron, but have a slightly larger version of a pyramid tent from Hyperlight Mountain Gear and a slightly smaller version from Locus Gear. Personally I'd have a hard time switching back to a normal freestanding tent.

Setup time is as fast or even faster then some of my freestanding tents.

I've always been able to find a spot to setup, though do prefer the slightly smaller Locus Gear Hapi XL for Mountain hunts. I've had small trees or bushes in my tents on several occasions, a freestanding tent wouldn't have fit in those spots. Certainly in high alpine, exposed rock it gets a little bit more difficult, not impossible, just a bit more work.

Carbon poles from Ruta Lucora are awesome. I've got an extension from them for my trekking poles and can use one to setup the tent and then keep the 2nd one with me. I haven't personally cut a pole, though it could certainly work.

I use a nest with the family or summer outings, if I'm solo I have a bug bivy.

There is a learning curve to dealing with condensation, once you get it, it's fairly easy to prevent.

I had a DCF Cimarron on order, but found a used HMG while I was waiting. Don't use a stove anymore, so jumped on the HMG instead of waiting for 6-9 months for the DCF Cimarron. But would certainly buy from Seek Outside if I decided to go back to a stove. I rush shipped all of my Seek Outside packs, and avoided paying any duty or brokerage on any of my gear that I've ordered from them.

Quote Originally Posted by waserwolf View Post
    Buster.....where are you located? I'm in Armstrong, if you're close u r welcome to check out my Cimarron and SXL Stove so u know what it's like. If you're not close we can discuss via phone call. PM me.
    I’m not anywhere near Armstrong, but I’ll send u a pm.

It sounds like everybody who has one likes them. Seeing as how I already have 2 conventional tents, it’s probably worth trying out one of these. I’m just not sure if I can splurge for the whole package or just buy the tipi and add a stove and nest for it later.

Quote Originally Posted by waserwolf View Post

Kudos waserwolf - great to see hunters helping hunters.
    forever noob

For what it's worth, I did not buy my stove from Seek Outside, but from LiteOutdoors (An Alberta company) as it's considerably cheaper.

However, LiteOutdoors is a cylinder stove so it's not ideal for cooking/coffee pots...but once the stove dimples from heat, you can make due.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.