Thread: Training collars.

Training collars.

Not that I need one yet as my pups pretty compliant and listens pretty well
    just to tone, but I’m starting to research just in case I need one.

I want simple. I’m going to be hunting with my kids so I don’t want something overly complicated. vibrate and beep is probably what I want.

Now, GPS again not sure if I will need one as my pups a Griff and closer ranging, but if I do decide to buy one any suggestions. Again, something simple.

thanks everyone.

2. Site Sponsor

bandit is online now Passionate pointer parent

Re: Training collars.

I have the Dogtra 200c. Pretty basic but I’m happy with it. Personally I prefer the dial to change the settings instead of up/down buttons.

Cabelas have a screaming deal on the garmin gps collar in case you suddenly get the urge to buy one...

I use a garmin delta sport xc, great unit, not too expensive. GPS all depends on how you hunt your dog and what for. I always hunt my dog close since im after grouse and rabbits, I know some chukar chasers let there dogs roam wherever they want then track them down, up to a kilometre away.

I had a dogtra and liked it fine. I wanted an upgrade and got a Garmin - it's the bee's knees. Not that it works any better but it's a really solid unit.

I would love to have a GPS one - but I don't really need it. I don't want my dog so far away that I don't know where she is. If she gets too far out I call her back.

OP, since you have a pointing dog (griff) I found that the Dogtra 2500 B&T was a good unit to have. It doesn't have a vibration mode but it has the beeper which 90+% of e collar units don't have. You can set it up so that when your dog goes on point it will beep every 8 seconds or so.

It's a handy feature because I know in the past when my griff or either of my Britts locked up on point in heavy cover there were times I didn't have a clue exactly where my dog was because I couldn't see her,,,,,even if she was only ten yards away. The beeper tells me exactly where she is now, though.

The beeper can also be used to tell you where the dog is at anytime you want just by pushing the "Locator" button. BC 1st growth forest is thick! It doesn't take much for you to lose sight lines with your dog when you're out grouse hunting in it. I trained my griff to recall with three tweets on a whistle,,,,,three beeps on the collar does the same thing. It works up to 300 yds. away depending on the terrain, even though the manual will say it's good for up to 400 yds.

The 2500 B&T is a good training collar, as well. It has a setting of stim between 1 and 127, continuous or nick.

Recently I picked up a barely used Garmin Sports Pro for way less than half price as a back up. I like it a lot! It has the tone, vibrate, nick, and continuous stim. modes so it would be a great model for training your dog, even better than he 2500. My dog will recall with the same 3 taps on the tone button. It also has a "No barking" feature which could come in handy if you have a dog that barks which I have no need for a home, plus a light system for using when it's dark out. I think they are about $350 with tax at Cabelas,,,,makes me happy I got mine for $130. lol

Whether or not you need to buy an e collar is up to the individual but if you ever plan on FF'ing your dog an e collar is a must to help reinforce various parts of the foundation. I find now that everything command has been reinforced with the collar I can just put it on the dog now without even turning it on because I know she will comply.

You will also need an e collar if you plan on trash breaking your dog to chasing deer and coyotes or getting in the face of bears, skunks, porcupines, snakes, etc. but it is used in a different manner (avoidance training) than obedience or field training. In these instances it's usually just a one shot training session per animal unless you have a hard headed dog but the collar is cranked up because you want he dog to think the animal it wants to chase is causing the discomfort..
    Last edited by mastercaster; 03-27-2021 at 11:08 PM.

FYI .... anyone who is on the fence with regards to a Garmin PRO550, PRO70 or SportPRO that mastercaster referenced above .... Garmin currently has a $50 US rebate on these models purchased by March 29/2021.
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

I use garmin sports pro as well can work both dogs with one transmitter great battery life as well.

Thanks everyone. I have some research to do.

I mainly will be going after Grouse and I live in the East koots so cover can be pretty heavy here so the beep is something I want.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by HMR View Post
    Thanks everyone. I have some research to do.

I mainly will be going after Grouse and I live in the East koots so cover can be pretty heavy here so the beep is something I want.

Thanks again.
    Very few e collars have a beeper mode. A lot have a tone feature which is entirely different. A collar with a tone feature can only be heard by the dog unless it's very close to you whereas a collar with a beeper can be heard 2-300 yards away if they happen to go on point or you can use the locator button to make the beeper sound off so you know where your dog is.

You can buy a beeper systems that you can clip onto a collar but you'll need to carry another transmitter which is a PITA.

Check out the Dogtra 2500 B&T or the 2700 if you have two dogs. They're good units.