Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heron and other Preds affecting up to 50% fry returns to ocean

Re: Heron and other Preds affecting up to 50% fry returns to ocean

I'm pretty sure there is no boom in Heron or any other bird populations so I wouldn't be blaming them on the demise of our fisheries. Harbour seals and Sea Lions may be another matter. I have seen seals 20 miles upstream from tidewater chasing steelhead, but I don't know if this historically normal or an act of desperation.

Hatcheries can't control what happens to the fish once they're at sea. They may very well be overpopulating and overstraining the viable habitat that still exists. I was reading that some of those WA hatchery fish caught by anglers cost over $1000 each to produce.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is no boom in Heron or any other bird populations so I wouldn't be blaming them on the demise of our fisheries. Harbour seals and Sea Lions may be another matter. I have seen seals 20 miles upstream from tidewater chasing steelhead, but I don't know if this historically normal or an act of desperation.

Hatcheries can't control what happens to the fish once they're at sea. They may very well be overpopulating and overstraining the viable habitat that still exists. I was reading that some of those WA hatchery fish caught by anglers cost over $1000 each to produce.
    You are correct and that was stated by the study, that Herons are just as much in decline too.
    But, if the Herons are in lesser #'s, BUT still having that kind of impact, then do we have too few salmon to begin with!!??
    (as far as fry heading down river to ocean)

If Heron with low pops themselves can have that affect, up to 50%, then man, we need more salmon being spawned.
    Again, more reason that "hatcheries are still needed"!

The goal is to not have any salmon and then the natives will be even more dependant on the gov.
    Vote liberal so they can give more empty streams and land to the natives.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

[QUOTE=Bugle M In;2239896]You are correct and that was stated by the study, that Herons are just as much in decline too.
    But, if the Herons are in lesser #'s, BUT still having that kind of impact, then do we have too few salmon to begin with!!??
    (as far as fry heading down river to ocean)

We have screwed up the ecosystem for both adults and smolts. The Fraser system is a disaster. We have all played a role in it from mining, ranching, logging, in river netting and urban development. The lower Fraser is a cesspool. We catch and release and kill fish for "sport" looking for one the right size all because so we can have an "opportunity". There are discussions under way about fin clipping all hatchery fish and having a catch and release of unclipped wild fish. And this will help how? In the past overfishing played a part, now ocean survival is taking a toll. With a healthy ecosystem fish could bounce back if we took the pressure off. That's no longer the case. By our lifestyles, our jobs and industry and where we live we are asking to much of a few smolts. Yes heron's, loon's, merganzers, seals and sealions take a toll but population and greed will ultimately be responsible. No one wants to be the first to give something up and soon it won't much matter. Sorry for the pessimistic view but I really think that's where we are heading.