Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Weapon of choice?

Re: Weapon of choice?

If your strategy is to flush and shoot in flight, 20ga semi-auto with modified or tighter choke and #6 shot is the perfect choice. If you prefer to get them while roosted in a tree or still on the ground beside the road, a .22 or .17HMR to the head is very satisfying (assuming competent marksmanship). If you're not sure, use the 20ga with modified choke and #6 shot and pay attention to pellets in the meat.

For grouse and Pheasants I use a Beretta A400 Explor 20ga. semi-auto, it's a great upland gun. For the wild Pheasants along the Reddeer R. I like to use 3in. mag.#4 shot with mod. choke, those big wild birds are tough. At times there's good sharptail hunting as well. At times I'll drag out my old 16 ga. sxs BSW Suhl. It knocks them down pretty good as well.

I really think 20 gauge is the perfect upland gun. I happen to lean towards an O/U, but grew up with a SxS and waterfowl with a semi. I hunt over flushing dogs, so a rimfire is a non-starter for me. If I were dogless (never gonna happen) I would scope my Henry Small Game Carbine, but since we are dealing with reality, it’s the shotgun for me.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

This past GOS i took my old Remington semi 1100 20 ga. gauge for first time since I last used it more than 45 years ago. It still shoot like a charm and very mild in recoil in shooting some grouse. I did had problem with injection of spended empty 3" old lead Remington shotgun shells. Not sure what problem was. The gun is well oiled.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

Quote Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
    This past GOS i took my old Remington semi 1100 20 ga. gauge for first time since I last used it more than 45 years ago. It still shoot like a charm and very mild in recoil in shooting some grouse. I did had problem with injection of spended empty 3" old lead Remington shotgun shells. Not sure what problem was. The gun is well oiled.
    Do those old 1100's have rubber O rings? If so they could be old and dried out and it could be loosing some of the gas to eject those 3" hulls. Just a thought.

In continuing with my 16-gauge passion my little GSP has been in the zone this year so took out my 1883 16g Dougall side lever out and brought home a nice rooster.Something special about shooting a firearm that's 140 years old and still works perfectly, I did leave a couple breeders out there, so it wasn't the first shot (same box to)

I mostly used a stevens 410 in a bolt action that my Dad gave me. The bolt broke a few years back so I started to use a 22 lever action with open sites. That was fun but I liked the shot gun better so I bought a revolution armoury single shot that folds in half and also has a nice little case to fit in. I am not upland hunting just adding some meat to the mix while out big game hunting.

Most recently my Dad who is a wheeler dealer and likes antiques gave me an old side by side 16 gauge and 5 boxes of old shell in number 6. Some are even cardboard. Well wouldn't you know it shoots like a dream. 6 shots 5 ruffed grouse. Even got a double. Never had a shot gun that shot so true. Put the bead on the head and thats were all the pellets go. It was kinda fun to hunt with the ild relic. Always thought I would get a side by side for fun 1 day just thought it would be in another 410.

click to enlarge
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Beretta 686 12 ga.

me...I like being able to have a choice of weapons rather than a weapon of choice...heheheh

How about "shotgun" ?

Weapon is a terrible choice of a word...

weap·on
    /ˈwepən/

noun: weapon; plural noun: weapons

a thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage.
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool