Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weapon of choice?

Weapon of choice?

So what is everyone’s weapon of choice for upland? I have a few over/unders, a semi auto (waterfowl and turkey) and both a bolt .22 for longer range and a Henry SGC for closer .22 stuff.

I love the O/Us for upland. I have 2 20 gauges and a 12 gauge. I don’t use the 12 as much as the 20s, so it’s for sale (Winchester 101). If I didn’t have the semi auto 12 gauge I’d keep this one too.

Whats your favorite way to whack grouse, chukar and pheasant?
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Weapon of choice?

Mathews Switchback XT, with 100gr Judo's. That brings me a lot of joy. And sometimes an RWS Magnum 350 in .177, or a Remington 541.

But archery ruffies is so incredibly satisfying.....

I think I’d probably lose a lot of arrows. And maybe my patience!

Winchester model 24, sxs 16 gauge. Points like a dream and hits those chukars going mac 3.

Really enjoy my Stevens M512 28ga. Points like an extension of my hand, super light, and effective. More expensive to shoot than my Winchester M42, but puts more pellets on target.

Nothing better than swinging my AYA 20 gauge for upland birds. It has become a bit of a safe queen since my dogs passed.

Usually just wait for one to run in front of the truck or quad instead of flying off to safety. ��
    besides that, how can you beat a benelli m4 for upland, utmost reliability for when the seconds count and your life is on the line ! Adrenaline pumping as that big grouse flushes right towards you.

Ancient bolt action 12 gauge with no bead gummy action and a bent barrel.

Great question Redthies - i would say for Grouse, Quail Chukars and Hungy's my old (older than me) trusty Lakefield model 64B .22, catch most of these birds on the ground these days with the two sets of younger eyes accompanying me. For Pheasant I have switched from the 12 to the 20 guage and have been "borrowing" my nieces Mossberg field pump in 20G with great success (points like a dream for an entry level shotty). For the Merriam's down my way we use the trusty Win. SXP 12G although have seen a few hit dirt with the aforementioned 20G as well. I personally won't use it though (20G) lol man those Turkeys seem like their packing body armor these days, pounded one Tom in the mouth from about 20 yards with the 12G turkey load and that old boy just kept running, still had enough juice to fly to roost in a 400yr old Ponderosa. We sat on him all night, never saw another feather, must have cleared out with the girls before daybreak.
    Be looking for him again this year.
    Links
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

I’m becoming a convert to the 20 gauge as well for upland. I bought my wife a Tristar (US brand built at “higher end” factory in Turkey) 20 gauge when she passed her CORE last year. It’s a nice gun for the money, and it’s light weight has me jealous. As I’m typing this, my new Franchi Instinct 20 gauge is “out for delivery”. I was ready to spend a bit more on a Beretta, but they just don’t fit me. The Franchi fits perfectly. No matter how many times I shoulder it with my eyes closed, when I open them, I’m looking straight down the band and at the f/o bead.

I have a Mossberg 930 Waterfowl Pro that I bought a 24” turkey barrel for. That works with the big birds. I also bought a Ruger American .22LR with an 18” medium weight barrel. It’s got a 4-12x Nikon scope on it, and is a real tack driver. I took a second turkey with it last fall. It would be the ultimate Grouse sniper tool, but since we have dogs, I’m usually shooting on the wing.

I know guys guys are getting all horny for spring bear, but my hometown in the Koots keeps calling me back with some gobbles this time of year.