Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New BC law

Re: New BC law

I guess the question is, if passed will this proposed legislation affect common legal hunting methods we currently employ in BC?

I hunt waterfowl out of a layout canoe.

Is the intent "Unless engaged in a legal hunt in accordance with the BC Wildlife Act........a person must not discharge a firearm from a boat."? Either the people that drafted this proposal don't understand current provisions under the BC Wildlife act, or they do.

We shall see but this troubles me. I think waterfowlers need to be concerned.

"boat" means a vessel or other craft in, on or by which a person or thing may be transported or drawn on water

Prohibition against discharging firearm from vehicle or boat

5 A person must not discharge a firearm in, on or from a vehicle or boat.

Last edited by Ron.C; 03-08-2021 at 08:30 PM.

Anybody notice this section:

Prohibition against operating vehicle if certain
    firearms, ammunition or devices in vehicle

6 (1) Despite the definition of "vehicle" in section 1 [definitions], in this section, "vehicle" does not include any of the following:
    (a) a device used exclusively on stationary rails or tracks in, on or by which a person or thing is or may be transported;
    (b) a prescribed vehicle, machine or device.
    (2) A person must not operate a vehicle if any of the following is in or on the vehicle:
    (a) a non-restricted firearm, prohibited firearm or restricted firearm;
    (b) prohibited ammunition;
    (c) a prohibited device.
    (3) If any firearm, ammunition or device referred to in subsection (2) is in or on a vehicle, a person who operates the vehicle contravenes subsection (2) whether or not the vehicle is in motion.

Sorry but Im not sure I have the time to pick this thing apart, but maybe someone on here does ,and find out how this new bill would conflict with the BC hunting regulations .
    This bill if I’m correct was supposed to target gang violence with firearms
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Sorry but Im not sure I have the time to pick this thing apart, but maybe someone on here does ,and find out how this new bill would conflict with the BC hunting regulations .
    This bill if I’m correct was supposed to target gang violence with firearms
    Arctic Lake
    And when has the law or a new bill ever stopped criminals and gang members carrying illegal firearms from doing what they want to do? lol

Quote Originally Posted by wbeasley13 View Post
    Anybody notice this section:

Prohibition against operating vehicle if certain
    firearms, ammunition or devices in vehicle

6 (1) Despite the definition of "vehicle" in section 1 [definitions], in this section, "vehicle" does not include any of the following:
    (a) a device used exclusively on stationary rails or tracks in, on or by which a person or thing is or may be transported;
    (b) a prescribed vehicle, machine or device.
    (2) A person must not operate a vehicle if any of the following is in or on the vehicle:
    (a) a non-restricted firearm, prohibited firearm or restricted firearm;
    (b) prohibited ammunition;
    (c) a prohibited device.
    (3) If any firearm, ammunition or device referred to in subsection (2) is in or on a vehicle, a person who operates the vehicle contravenes subsection (2) whether or not the vehicle is in motion.
    The follwoing section reads

7 A person does not contravene section 6 (2) if, in respect of the non-restricted firearm, prohibited firearm, restricted firearm, prohibited ammunition or prohibited device that is in or on the vehicle,
    (a) the person or another occupant of the vehicle is authorized under the federal Act to possess the firearm, ammunition or device,
    (b) in the case of a prohibited firearm or restricted firearm that is in or on the vehicle, the person or another occupant of the vehicle is authorized under the federal Act to transport and, if applicable, carry the firearm, and
    (c) the firearm, ammunition or device is being transported, carried or stored in a manner that complies with requirements under the federal Act.

I thought firearms were under federal, That is a long list of bull shit..

The proposed law says, "A person must not discharge a firearm in, on or from a vehicle or boat."
    The definition says, ""
    boat"" "means a vessel or other craft in, on or by which a person or thing may be transported or drawn on water"

No canoes, punts, rafts, nothing that floats. The old reg about power boats will not apply anymore. The age old hunting moose from a canoe would be gone.
    Last edited by MRP; 03-09-2021 at 08:38 AM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Oh I hear you ! I’m just repeating what the government says !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    And when has the law or a new bill ever stopped criminals and gang members carrying illegal firearms from doing what they want to do? lol

I need to find out about this !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    The proposed law says, "A person must not discharge a firearm in, on or from a vehicle or boat."
    The definition says, ""
    boat"" "means a vessel or other craft in, on or by which a person or thing may be transported or drawn on water"

No canoes, punts, rafts, nothing that floats. The old reg about power boats will not apply anymore. The age old hunting moose from a canoe would be gone.

Because this is early in the bill, NOW is your opportunity to reach out to your MLA and tell them the proposed law is full of holes and impinges on your legal traditions.

The not being able to shoot from a boat is one thing.

Also the section on Shooting Ranges has severe implications for rural ranges where they do NOT have the resources to restrict access and check everyone's ID before use. Many of them are basically open, have drop boxes for fees and it is based on the honor system. This bill is aimed at urban ranges where we do control access ALREADY, underlining things we already do under the Federal range regulations and also in practice. But rural ranges have little option and one would question whether they are at risk at all from gang activity.

EDIT: removed the bit about body armor. Evidently PAL holders still are exempt
    Last edited by silveragent; 03-09-2021 at 11:12 AM.