Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Goat Count - First ever RMGA survey in Canada

Mountain Goat Count - First ever RMGA survey in Canada

From an idea just over a month ago, to now a real boots on the ground Mountain Goat Conservation project, right here close to home.

It didn't take long for Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance to reach out as soon as they got word, and now it'll be the first ever RMGA survey happening on our side of the border. I couldn't be more excited about this, and the talk/buzz around town has shown many others are as well.

For anyone interested in taking part, please email lee@goatalliance.org to get signed up and on the email list, I'll also reach out to anyone who I've already spoken to about it as well.

We plan to have many different groups accessing multiple ranges within the Chilliwack River Valley. From road access, to some overnight backcountry areas, this is going to be a great weekend in the name of Mountain Goat Conservation.

Please email in, or message me directly if you have any specific questions.

Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mountain Goat Count - First ever RMGA survey in Canada

Very cool. I sent an email so I can be on the email list
    Member of CCFR

Thanks for organizing, email sent, count me in.
    Mitch

Awesome!
    just sent an email to get on the list as well.
    thanks for organizing.

What is the data going to be used for and by whom? I was not able to find an answer to this on IG.

Also, Is the number of volunteers needed limited or not? Judt curious based on the close access to LM and the fact that the turn out is probably going to be huge.

Thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    What is the data going to be used for and by whom? I was not able to find an answer to this on IG.

Also, Is the number of volunteers needed limited or not? Judt curious based on the close access to LM and the fact that the turn out is probably going to be huge.

Thanks!!!!
    I'm currently working on a Project Charter with the Region 2 wildlife and habitat biologist, we will be reviewing the data vs the last known survey over 10 years ago and that was a winter range habitat. Since the late 80's there appears to have been a slow decline in the mountain goat population through out this area. This will be a working project for years to come I plan, this will provide a base number and put more attention on the area to work on what actions may need to be taken for rehabilitation. I'd hope to one day see a herd size that would warrant possibly a tag(s) in the area, but its on the ground work that I believe will lead to that.

My plan is also to open up surveys in future to other areas in the province that may be overlooked.

Volunteer numbers are definitely not limited and we're happy to have more. We will be assigning pre set groups with leads to tackle specific ranges/peaks within the valley. It is quite the area in size so the more people we have out, the more eyes we can put in various spots.

count me in! I was scrambling up by welch and Foley peak back in 2016 and saw couple of goats.

This is very cool. I hiked into a valley around foley lake one year and counted 28 goats sunning themselves on the grassy slopes.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Count me in aswell. Will be nice to see some more conservation efforts towards goats in that area and all of BC for that matter.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Brew View Post
    This is very cool. I hiked into a valley around foley lake one year and counted 28 goats sunning themselves on the grassy slopes.
    Wow, that's the biggest group sighting I've heard of up in that area by far!