Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Smokers and bbqs

Re: Smokers and bbqs

Have two huge racks of beef ribs on the Traeger right now.. about an hour until they are done, what a great way to spend Canada Day weekend.

that being said; this smoker is the best purchase I’ve made. I’ve learned to cook so much delicious stuff, people ask to pay me to cook for them and now I don’t have to go pay $50 for a single meal at a smokehouse !

smoking home made jams and bbq sauce is a delight as well.

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    here's the thread I mentioned
    Thanks for the bump. Will need a new unit once we move into the new place.
    Costco down here has a Louisiana Grill Ceramic Charcoal Grill 5 in 1 down here for about $1000 Canadian. Looks like a ceramic egg. Anyone use one??

I melted our small Weber camping BBQ that we have been getting by with. Apparently you can burn them off a tad hot. Lol

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

This came up again when we got on the topic of bacon and the higher costs, seems ridic to buy when bellies can be had for a few dollars and smoke can be cheap
    or as expensive as one wants to spend on the appliance
    Numerous smoke generators have come on the market, cold smoking is a pretty simple process
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    This came up again when we got on the topic of bacon and the higher costs, seems ridic to buy when bellies can be had for a few dollars and smoke can be cheap
    or as expensive as one wants to spend on the appliance
    Numerous smoke generators have come on the market, cold smoking is a pretty simple process
    It would be interesting to weigh a 375 gram pack of bacon after you cook it and compare it to 375 grams of cooked homemade bacon. I’m sure the store bacon is at least 50% water weight, same goes for store bought chicken breasts

This is what I’ve been using for my bacon if anyone wants to try it. I only cure it for 4-5 days, rinse it, smoke it and then freeze it in 1/2 pound chunks. It’s not something I typically fry up and eat, but more for sandwiches and breakfast wraps.

2kg pork belly

I mixed up the dry brine ingredients. For each kilogram of pork you need to mix:

• 3 grams of Prague powder #1
    • 35 grams of Kosher salt

75 grams brown sugar
    40 grams beef oxo in-a-mug
    15 grams fresh cracked pepper
    25 grams nn French onion soup mix
    Last edited by Bustercluck; 07-03-2023 at 08:38 AM.

For back bacon I add a touch of coriander and cloves.

75 grams sugar
    40 grams beef oxo in-a-mug
    15 grams fresh cracked pepper
    10 grams coriander
    5 grams cloves
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Another hack I’ve figured out is using a cheap coffee grinder to grind up whole cloves or whole peppercorns. The fresh ground spice is a game changer.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Just made a new smoker. Looks like my old wood box but now with aluminum interior and pid controller. Not as hot as store bought but have got it about 250 so far. We use it for sausage bacon and brisket and whatever we can think of

Bustercluck . I worked in the meat business for over 25 years although not directly involved in the pickling and curing department I can tell you water gets turned into gold LOL . Yes they put quite a bit of water in . Dry cured bacon is less and different process ! Ooops just read your above post !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    It would be interesting to weigh a 375 gram pack of bacon after you cook it and compare it to 375 grams of cooked homemade bacon. I’m sure the store bacon is at least 50% water weight, same goes for store bought chicken breasts
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Bustercluck . I worked in the meat business for over 25 years although not directly involved in the pickling and curing department I can tell you water gets turned into gold LOL . Yes they put quite a bit of water in . Dry cured bacon is less and different process ! Ooops just read your above post !
    Arctic Lake
    They’re selling water at the price of bacon just like the gold brokers are selling pieces of paper at the price of gold…