Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Smokers and bbqs

Re: Smokers and bbqs

I have a Napolean natural gas bbq and yesterday picked up a Weber smoke Joe to try my hand at cooking over coals.

I have a GMG pellet smoker it is a great rig cannot say enough about it .The Daniel Boone model ,did smoked goose breast last week and everyone thought it was steak.Leg of lamb ,turkey great ,probes and the phone app is over the top even for an old non app guy like me.

Some bacon that came off the kamado joe tonight

Green Mountain Grill Prime model. Set it, leave it. Can do everything from your phone. Like any pellet grill, keep it clean and you’ll be eating good.

I got the Bradley classic XL (6 rack cabinet). So far so good but I think the heating element is a bit underpowered. However very good results so far on the ham, sausages, etc. will try brisket this summer with it.

I use an external Weber temp monitor with up to 4 probes via Bluetooth. So it’s easy to get the smoker temp dialed in and another probe in the meat and keep an eye on my phone while running around doing other shit.

I like that it’s electric too, just easy to plug in and run.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Okay if you have a Pitt Boss please let me know what model ? Pros & Cons
    Thank You
    Arctic Lake
    I have the pit boss combo (pellet one side and gas on the other). When you have time to make a nice supper I use the pellet side to grill and the wood fire taste and finish is great. it takes 15-20 min to start and warm up. You also have the option to use indirect heat or direct flame (movable shield)

When the kids are hungry and want hot dogs/sausage I use the gas and am done in 15 min.

Have done a few briskets and they have turned out great.

Supposed to be able to cold smoke with the Pitboss combo because you set the pellet side to “smoke” and place the fish on the gas side. Have not tried it yet.

I bought the Pitboss combo because it was my first time messing with pellets and wasn’t sure I’d like to replace the gas grill completely. Next time around I will be buying just a pellet grill. Kids should be older and will have to wait for it to warm up lol

Use a sous vide (water bath) to get it to the temp you want without drying it out (you can even add fat to the bag if you wanted to add more flavour and juiciness. Then throw it on the smoker for a shorter amount of time and cold smoke it.

I personally use a Weber Genesis I 330 SS. I have a little chief smoker but I rarely use it. My bro-in-law has a Komado and he LOVES it -- I also get to benefit from it when I visit the Okanagan. I think a Traeger or similar is in my future. It's been a toss up between a kegerator, smoker, or outdoor grilling area. All in time

Best
    J
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    How’d the elk brisket turn out? I put a moose chuck roast on my kamado a while ago and it dried right out. I’m thinking it’s just too lean to leave on the grill for 8 hours, lol. Next time I’ll just smoke it for an hour or two and then throw it in the oven.

Bradleys are definitely the king for doing smoked salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesonm View Post
    Use a sous vide (water bath) to get it to the temp you want without drying it out (you can even add fat to the bag if you wanted to add more flavour and juiciness. Then throw it on the smoker for a shorter amount of time and cold smoke it.

I personally use a Weber Genesis I 330 SS. I have a little chief smoker but I rarely use it. My bro-in-law has a Komado and he LOVES it -- I also get to benefit from it when I visit the Okanagan. I think a Traeger or similar is in my future. It's been a toss up between a kegerator, smoker, or outdoor grilling area. All in time

Best
    J
    I might give this a go tomorrow. You say to smoke it after I Sous vide? I was thinking of rubbing it, smoking it and then sous vide, then maybe a touch more smoke.

Or maybe rub it, throw some smoke at it and then wrap it in some foil with a bunch of beef broth.

I’ll shoot from the hip in the morning. I do have some beef fat I’m going to lay over top of it while it’s cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I have a GMG pellet smoker it is a great rig cannot say enough about it .The Daniel Boone model ,did smoked goose breast last week and everyone thought it was steak.Leg of lamb ,turkey great ,probes and the phone app is over the top even for an old non app guy like me.
    How did you do the smoked goose breast?

here's the thread I mentioned
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC