Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smokers and bbqs

Re: Smokers and bbqs

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    How’d the elk brisket turn out? I put a moose chuck roast on my kamado a while ago and it dried right out. I’m thinking it’s just too lean to leave on the grill for 8 hours, lol. Next time I’ll just smoke it for an hour or two and then throw it in the oven.

Bradleys are definitely the king for doing smoked salmon.
    Do it a couple of hours on the smoker and then finish it using a sous vide water bath, it works amazing and stays sooooo moist!!! I have Traeger, Bradley, Weber gas and the big boy home made smoker. Just finished some sous vide corned beef and smoked then sous vided pastrami, yum.

Just after we finished the big boy, at my old house.
    Last edited by elimsprint; 03-07-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Master built that’s it . Any good ?
    Arctic Lake
    The electric one is okay but don't get any smoker with a window! Horrible lol. I'd splurge for a pellet grill myself and not get the electric one.
    Just a conspiracy bro!

Quote Originally Posted by elimsprint View Post
    Do it a couple of hours on the smoker and then finish it using a sous vide water bath, it works amazing and stays sooooo moist!!! I have Traeger, Bradley, Weber gas and the big boy home made smoker. Just finished some sous vide corned beef and smoked then sous vided pastrami, yum.

Just after we finished the big boy, at my old house.
    That home made smoker is awesome!
    Just a conspiracy bro!

Thank you, it was a labour of love, lol. As in I love smoked food

I treated myself to a covid gift last summer and upgraded from a crappy cheapo propane grill to a Kamado Joe Classic 2. I must say it may be my new favorite family member. I was on the fence between a Kamado and a Pellet grill but opted for Kamado. It seemed a bit more versitile and analog. No electronics/mechanical parts to fail. I used to have a pellet stove for heating the house and the thing was always needing repair.

The Kamado does take a bit more work to get going than a pellet grill, but once the temp is stabilized in my experience it is set and forget. I will hold 225 for a pork should for 8-10 without any fiddling really. One thing I have learned though is that when I start to prepare a meal the first thing I do is light the grill.

I really like the versitility of the Kamado Joe. It will run at 225 all day long, 350 for a roast/turkey or crank up to 900 to cook a pizza in a couple mins. It has the ability to cook indirect, direct or half and half which adds to the versatility. It works great in very cold temps because of the thick ceramics, if you like to grill all year long. It's also really easy to change your smoking wood flavour as it's just a matter of throwing in a few chunks of flavour wood onto the lump.

A couple of the best meals that I have made on it so far other then standard ribs/pulled pork etc are
    -Smoked a bear sirloin tip roast in some oak smoke for a couple hours then wrapped it in a foil tray with beef stock onions, garlic, chipotles in adobo and let it braise until falling apart. Pulled meat for tacos. Also smoked tomatoes, oniions and jalapenos for 1.5 hr then made smoked salsa
    -Moose osso bucco. Smoked shanks for a couple hours then added to braise in the grill, great smoky addition to a great comfort food meal.
    -Reverse seared dall sheep backstrap. Salt pepper then oak smoke at 250. Occasional basting with melted butter garlic and shallots. ONce internal hits 112-115 take off let rest. Crank grill and set up for direct cooking. Quick sear on all sides. Slice thin and top with Chimicuri. I think this is my favourite meal of all time.
    -Chicken. The ceramic radiate heat back down and make the best crispy chicken skin while keep the meat super jucy. Spatchcock chicken, add rub of your choice. Grill 400 indirect for 40 min, no flipping and done.

In my opinion, I can't recommend one of these things enough.

I haven't really tried to smoke anything at super low temps say below 225 so can't comment on that. One thing it does really suck at is going from high temps back to cooler temps. Once you get heat in the dome it takes a long time for that to dissipate.

I have a Traeger, one of the big ones that Costco sold. It will easily take two briskets but I rarely need that much capacity except when I'm doing my smoking for summer fishing and fall hunting. Brisket, pulled pork and homemade bacon are always on the menu and I suspect I might get disinvited to camp if I ever failed to turn up with large quantities of each.

I got rid of my gas grill after owning the Traeger for a while, partly because I prefer the Traeger and partly because they were competing for space on the deck. I now do steak inside the house on the cast iron and don't think I'll ever own another gas grill except up at the lake.

Brined and smoked turkey is a household favourite... I think we do about 4 a year.

I did a moose brisket covered in bacon and it was delicious.

Basically, if you can't tie a few knots, drive a stick, back up a trailer and smoke a good brisket you're still a man in training
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Okay if you have a Pitt Boss please let me know what model ? Pros & Cons
    Thank You
    Arctic Lake
    AL, I bought the Pit Boss 700FB. Nothing fancy, a good starter smoker. After a year, no issues. Just keep the fire box clean, wipe down the grills and empty the hopper after every use.

Lots of good info on the Net on how these operate, how to get them to temp, hold temp, clean them and what you can do with them besides smoking.

But....don't get rid of your gas grill, you will need it. The smokers can advertise a searing option, but most cannot do what your gas grill can do.

I use the PB for smoking and slow cooking, the Bradley for smoking, the gas grill for quick searing and cooking and my Campchef with the cast iron for amazing steaks, fish, vegies and the can cooker.

Cooking with wood is a whole other level. If i didn't buy the PB, I would have gone for a charcoal cooker.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Thanks for the details SS ! We have a Propane grill so a Pitt Boss or similar would be great !

Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    AL, I bought the Pit Boss 700FB. Nothing fancy, a good starter smoker. After a year, no issues. Just keep the fire box clean, wipe down the grills and empty the hopper after every use.

Lots of good info on the Net on how these operate, how to get them to temp, hold temp, clean them and what you can do with them besides smoking.

But....don't get rid of your gas grill, you will need it. The smokers can advertise a searing option, but most cannot do what your gas grill can do.

I use the PB for smoking and slow cooking, the Bradley for smoking, the gas grill for quick searing and cooking and my Campchef with the cast iron for amazing steaks, fish, vegies and the can cooker.

Cooking with wood is a whole other level. If i didn't buy the PB, I would have gone for a charcoal cooker.

Cheers

SS
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I picked up a second hand Little Chief smoker. I'm going to do a test batch of smoked jerky from last spring's bear, the shoulder and bottom round. It's been marinating in W.shire, soy sauce, and cumin. If it goes well, I plan on doing the majority of this year's bear in the smoker.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make sure bear meat is cooked well enough in the smoker to kill trichinella?
    The meat is too thin for a meat thermometer, and the smoker dosen't have thermometer either.
    How about putting jerky in the oven afterwards?

It's anecdotal, but I think bears leave me alone while I'm sweating bear meat out of my pores, so I plan on eating bear meat mostly before/during hiking and scouting trips.

This should help for bear meat. https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichi...s/hunters.html
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !