Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smokers and bbqs

Re: Smokers and bbqs

I have a masterbuilt 140 electric smoker, had a gas bbq till the wind flipped it so I have a traeger on order and to tide me over I bought a weber kettle charcoal grill. Love the charcoal grill, haven't used the electric in a while, can't wait for the pellet grill.

Did smash burgers on the kettle tonight. Did a brisket in my electric over christmas.
    Just a conspiracy bro!

Master built that’s it . Any good ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Bradley for fish, pepperoni and sausage and summer sausage

Pit Boss for briskets, chickens, turkeys, roasts, ribs and other meats.

Can't wait for it to warm up and get some smoke in the air!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Okay if you have a Pitt Boss please let me know what model ? Pros & Cons
    Thank You
    Arctic Lake

Here’s the bacon I put on earlier. I pulled it off a little bit early because I had to go to my brothers for dinner. It was on for roughly 5 hours
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Okay if you have a Pitt Boss please let me know what model ? Pros & Cons
    Thank You
    Arctic Lake
    Heres my take.
    like sitkaspruce said, Bradley for salmon and sausage.
    I haven’t seen the pit boss, but I think the traeger is the easiest and most user friendly style of smoker/bbq to use. If you get the model that you can hook up to your phone, you can check it while you’re downtown and I think you can even shut it off. Just set the temp and forget about it. Traegers are definitely better at lower temps for doing stuff like bacon. Some friends of ours have an eleven year old girl who cooks on their traeger with no help all the time.

The kamado (kamado joe, big green egg)style is a lot more labour intensive and takes more babysitting, but the flavour you get from charcoal mixed with some hardwood is like nothing else. I’m not sure what the cost is like to run a pellet grill, but good charcoal isn’t cheap. I mostly use the kamado joe brand which is 32.99 a bag. I’ve tried a few others, the cheap kings Ford charcoal doesn’t have good flavour, I tried some formed coconut sticks that were very clean tasting almost like propane, but my fav is the big block kamado joe. Kamado grills also take some time to warm up, you have to build your fire first and wait for it to warm up and if it gets too hot than it takes quite a while to cool back down. Expect to be waiting 45 minutes before you plan on smoking something at low temps, but it’s a lot faster if you want to run it hot for doing steaks. I also find the kamado has a hard time running below 200 degrees, it takes some babysitting to do stuff like bacon, but at 225-250 you can pretty well walk away from it for 6-8 hours if you’re doing a brisket and it will run for at least 18 hours on one load of charcoal running at those temps.

Ive heard some of the propane smokers run very hot and are hard to do low and slow, but I haven’t paid attention to the models people were talking about.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Coffee bacon on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    How’d the elk brisket turn out? I put a moose chuck roast on my kamado a while ago and it dried right out. I’m thinking it’s just too lean to leave on the grill for 8 hours, lol. Next time I’ll just smoke it for an hour or two and then throw it in the oven.

Bradleys are definitely the king for doing smoked salmon.
    The elk brisket (in pictures) turned out very well. Very tasty and tender. No recipe, just applied a commercial southwest rub and hickory smoked in the Bradley for 6-8 hours.

Thanks for the detailed reply Bustercluck
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Heres my take.
    like sitkaspruce said, Bradley for salmon and sausage.
    I haven’t seen the pit boss, but I think the traeger is the easiest and most user friendly style of smoker/bbq to use. If you get the model that you can hook up to your phone, you can check it while you’re downtown and I think you can even shut it off. Just set the temp and forget about it. Traegers are definitely better at lower temps for doing stuff like bacon. Some friends of ours have an eleven year old girl who cooks on their traeger with no help all the time.

The kamado (kamado joe, big green egg)style is a lot more labour intensive and takes more babysitting, but the flavour you get from charcoal mixed with some hardwood is like nothing else. I’m not sure what the cost is like to run a pellet grill, but good charcoal isn’t cheap. I mostly use the kamado joe brand which is 32.99 a bag. I’ve tried a few others, the cheap kings Ford charcoal doesn’t have good flavour, I tried some formed coconut sticks that were very clean tasting almost like propane, but my fav is the big block kamado joe. Kamado grills also take some time to warm up, you have to build your fire first and wait for it to warm up and if it gets too hot than it takes quite a while to cool back down. Expect to be waiting 45 minutes before you plan on smoking something at low temps, but it’s a lot faster if you want to run it hot for doing steaks. I also find the kamado has a hard time running below 200 degrees, it takes some babysitting to do stuff like bacon, but at 225-250 you can pretty well walk away from it for 6-8 hours if you’re doing a brisket and it will run for at least 18 hours on one load of charcoal running at those temps.

Ive heard some of the propane smokers run very hot and are hard to do low and slow, but I haven’t paid attention to the models people were talking about.

Cool Re: Smokers and bbqs

Smoker: Custom built based on a 1960's hospital food warmer. 3" of solid insulation all round. 400 pounds of stainless steel. Fired by two ceramic electric burners controlled by a PID with more settings that I can use. Alternatively set up to cold smoke with a Bradley setup as seen below:

It does an excellent job on everything I throw at it.
    The heavy insulation also means hot smoking mid winter is no issue.

New BarBee we collected so I can pipe it into the house's natural gas system:

Went with another Stainless Coleman. The previous one of the same lasted me over 10 years which is saying a lot! We BarBee 4 or 5 nights a week, year round.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me