Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smokers and bbqs

Hybrid View

Smokers and bbqs

Who’s using what and what are you making?

It seems like smokers and bbqs have become pretty popular over the last few years so I thought I’d start a thread on what everybody is using and what you’re making. Anything from the big chief, traegers, kamados. Whatever you want.

I personally think a guy could use 4 different smokers, a Bradley, traeger, kamado and a propane grill, they all have their place. I have a propane grill and a kamado joe at the moment and I think I’ll probably add a traeger this year. I’d like to build a new deck in my back yard this year and incorporate a grill pit off to the side with enough room for all three.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Smokers and bbqs

I’m just getting ready to throw some bacon on today. there’s two slabs there about 7 pounds each. One soaked in bourbon and spice, the other soaked in honey, ground coffee maple syrup and a few other things for five days. I’ll smoke em for 4-5 hours until they’re 150-155f

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Montreal smoked meat from a few days ago. These things are a labour of love. 11-12 days to get one of these done.

I have a Bradley with cold smoke attachment and a Napoleon propane grill. Have done salmon both hot and cold smoke, back bacon, elk pepperoni, pulled pork butt, cheese, almonds. This year I smoked elk brisket along with a batch of back bacon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C3652C73-E7FE-4BCD-A947-EDD16E769430.jpg   8FF27D64-FA29-4417-9E86-4267A2F64269.jpg   E0401428-852B-4C38-946F-E19E56420569.jpg   8CA7059C-32DB-4B16-81FD-1BE1E0D83D84.jpg  

How’d the elk brisket turn out? I put a moose chuck roast on my kamado a while ago and it dried right out. I’m thinking it’s just too lean to leave on the grill for 8 hours, lol. Next time I’ll just smoke it for an hour or two and then throw it in the oven.

Bradleys are definitely the king for doing smoked salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    How’d the elk brisket turn out? I put a moose chuck roast on my kamado a while ago and it dried right out. I’m thinking it’s just too lean to leave on the grill for 8 hours, lol. Next time I’ll just smoke it for an hour or two and then throw it in the oven.

The elk brisket (in pictures) turned out very well. Very tasty and tender. No recipe, just applied a commercial southwest rub and hickory smoked in the Bradley for 6-8 hours.

Do it a couple of hours on the smoker and then finish it using a sous vide water bath, it works amazing and stays sooooo moist!!! I have Traeger, Bradley, Weber gas and the big boy home made smoker. Just finished some sous vide corned beef and smoked then sous vided pastrami, yum.

Just after we finished the big boy, at my old house.
    Last edited by elimsprint; 03-07-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elimsprint View Post
    Do it a couple of hours on the smoker and then finish it using a sous vide water bath, it works amazing and stays sooooo moist!!! I have Traeger, Bradley, Weber gas and the big boy home made smoker. Just finished some sous vide corned beef and smoked then sous vided pastrami, yum.

Just after we finished the big boy, at my old house.
    That home made smoker is awesome!
    Just a conspiracy bro!

Thank you, it was a labour of love, lol. As in I love smoked food

Use a sous vide (water bath) to get it to the temp you want without drying it out (you can even add fat to the bag if you wanted to add more flavour and juiciness. Then throw it on the smoker for a shorter amount of time and cold smoke it.

I personally use a Weber Genesis I 330 SS. I have a little chief smoker but I rarely use it. My bro-in-law has a Komado and he LOVES it -- I also get to benefit from it when I visit the Okanagan. I think a Traeger or similar is in my future. It's been a toss up between a kegerator, smoker, or outdoor grilling area. All in time

Best
    J