Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smokers and bbqs

Smokers and bbqs

Who’s using what and what are you making?

It seems like smokers and bbqs have become pretty popular over the last few years so I thought I’d start a thread on what everybody is using and what you’re making. Anything from the big chief, traegers, kamados. Whatever you want.

I personally think a guy could use 4 different smokers, a Bradley, traeger, kamado and a propane grill, they all have their place. I have a propane grill and a kamado joe at the moment and I think I’ll probably add a traeger this year. I’d like to build a new deck in my back yard this year and incorporate a grill pit off to the side with enough room for all three.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Smokers and bbqs

I’m just getting ready to throw some bacon on today. there’s two slabs there about 7 pounds each. One soaked in bourbon and spice, the other soaked in honey, ground coffee maple syrup and a few other things for five days. I’ll smoke em for 4-5 hours until they’re 150-155f

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Montreal smoked meat from a few days ago. These things are a labour of love. 11-12 days to get one of these done.

I have a Bradley with cold smoke attachment and a Napoleon propane grill. Have done salmon both hot and cold smoke, back bacon, elk pepperoni, pulled pork butt, cheese, almonds. This year I smoked elk brisket along with a batch of back bacon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C3652C73-E7FE-4BCD-A947-EDD16E769430.jpg   8FF27D64-FA29-4417-9E86-4267A2F64269.jpg   E0401428-852B-4C38-946F-E19E56420569.jpg   8CA7059C-32DB-4B16-81FD-1BE1E0D83D84.jpg  

How’d the elk brisket turn out? I put a moose chuck roast on my kamado a while ago and it dried right out. I’m thinking it’s just too lean to leave on the grill for 8 hours, lol. Next time I’ll just smoke it for an hour or two and then throw it in the oven.

Bradleys are definitely the king for doing smoked salmon.

Reminds me....Need to blow the dust off my gas BQ one if these days.

Went pellet and won't go back. Have a Treager and a Louisiana side by side for cooking.... and more cookin'. Had a Pit Boss as well. Basically a rebranded treager design. I think they are the all rounder. Easy on and off. Quick steaks to burgers, go low and slow, more smoke/less smoke etc for pepperoni/sausages smoked to temp. Once the backyard is done I might add a stick burner to the stable for special event fun Sunday type cooking. Needs a bit more finesse but would be cool to burn some natural wood.

Smokers and BBQs have been popular for a lot more than the last few years.

Will be watching this thread closely. Built a deck that needs a new grill. Have been thinking traeger but eager to hear what everyone's using!

I've been using a Weber kettle more and more. I hardly ever turn on the propane grill anymore. White tail roasts, steaks, brisket, ribs, pulled pork...pretty much everything slow and low with some wood chunks added to the coals.

The best steaks I've ever had are done indirect around 250 deg. until an internal temp of 110 deg and then a quick sear over the coals to bring it up to 125ish.

I'm thinking of picking up a pellet grill for things like briskets so I don't have to keep an eye on it as much but you can get awesome results with just a kettle and some good charcoal/wood.

Hey I’m interested in this thread for sure and want to buy a smoker of some type . No offence to any of you that own the Bradley’s but they seem on the flimsy cheap side ? What about the other solid looking ones at Cabelas not sure of the name.
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !