Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Smokers and bbqs

Re: Smokers and bbqs

You probably don’t have to, but I would definitely throw bear in the oven after smoking unless you put a couple of thermometers inside the smoker so you at least know the time/temp it was cooked at. There are some cheap dial thermometers out there that you could at least put above the top shelf where it’s the coldest. You’ll probably want to rotate the racks as well, because the bottom rack tends to cook faster.

You might find that smoking them to fully cooked is too smoky and you might decide to do 45-60 mins smoke and finish it off in the oven.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I have a basic Pitboss pellet grill. It's basically idiot proof. I've done roasts, thanksgiving turkey, chickens, ribs, salmon (both smoked and grilled) and it's awesome. Can't see myself ever using a propane bbq again.

Propane bbq, and a vertical electric pellet smoker from pit boss. First year with a smoker and loving it. Already done beef brisket, chicken breasts, Armadillo eggs, and bear jerky!
    As much as a purist smoker might say a pellet is no good. I must say I like the ease and simplicity of setting the temperature and being able to take off for a couple hours...dog walk, forgotten groceries, and knowing the temp is going to be fine for a few hours.
    I also like the large glass door. Guys at work tell me they keep opening their grill style to look at it and loose all the temp.

Sitka . I had a look at the Pitt Boss site and it seems that the 700 FB is a grill not a smoker or is it both and do you use it for both ?
    Thanks Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    AL, I bought the Pit Boss 700FB. Nothing fancy, a good starter smoker. After a year, no issues. Just keep the fire box clean, wipe down the grills and empty the hopper after every use.

Lots of good info on the Net on how these operate, how to get them to temp, hold temp, clean them and what you can do with them besides smoking.

But....don't get rid of your gas grill, you will need it. The smokers can advertise a searing option, but most cannot do what your gas grill can do.

I use the PB for smoking and slow cooking, the Bradley for smoking, the gas grill for quick searing and cooking and my Campchef with the cast iron for amazing steaks, fish, vegies and the can cooker.

Cooking with wood is a whole other level. If i didn't buy the PB, I would have gone for a charcoal cooker.

Cheers

SS
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I bought a little chief about 40 years ago. Still have it and occasionally used it for fish.
    about 10 years ago I got a Bradley 4 rack and love it for smoking about everything and it is still going strong
    This year I treated myself to a new Bradley digital and have done up some stuff already.
    I smoke my own bacon, pastrami, ribs, pork belly , briskets, you name it.
    We also have a large 4 burner with a side burner propane grill that I just refurbished with new burners and heat shields.
    Around our house these things get used a lot.
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

If you guys haven’t made bacon yet, then it’s time to try it out. You’ll never go back. I find brining/salting for 5 days gives it the right amount of salt/flavour, 4 would probably be ok too. A lot of recipes call for 10 or more days of salting, but that’s only if you want to store the bacon in your cupboard. I’m always going for more flavour with a bit of preservation, so i salt for less days, vacuum seal it and throw it in the freezer or it keeps in the fridge for weeks too.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    If you guys haven’t made bacon yet, then it’s time to try it out. You’ll never go back. I find brining/salting for 5 days gives it the right amount of salt/flavour, 4 would probably be ok too. A lot of recipes call for 10 or more days of salting, but that’s only if you want to store the bacon in your cupboard. I’m always going for more flavour with a bit of preservation, so i salt for less days, vacuum seal it and throw it in the freezer or it keeps in the fridge for weeks too.
    yup you bet.
    I have been making my own for a while.
    I am not a real salty bacon kind of guy
    This is what I do

Home Cured Bacon

Ingredients
    3 to 4 pound uncured pork belly
    ⅓ cup kosher salt
    1/2 cup apple sauce
    2 cups packed light brown sugar
    1 cup maple syrup
    4 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons Seasoned Salt
    1/2 cup warm water

Apple wood in the Smoker

Instructions
    1. Trim excess fat from the pork belly. You can keep or trim off as much as desired.
    2. Place the pork on a flat baking sheet.
    3. Place the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk well.
    4. Pour half the marinade over the top side of the pork and rub all over with a spatula. Flip the pork over and repeat with the remaining marinade.
    5. Cover and place in the icebox for 3 days. After 1 ½ days, flip the pork over, recover for the remaining 1 ½ days.
    6. Remove the pork from the icebox and rinse all the marinade off.
    7. Place the pork on the counter for about 45 minutes before smoking to let it warm.
    8. Preheat the smoker to 190 degrees
    9. Place the pork in the smoker and start the smoke, close the air vents. Cook for 1 hour.
    10. Flip the bacon over and cook for about 1 ½ hour or until the internal temp is 145 to 155 degrees F.
    11. Remove the pork from smoker and place on a wire rack on a baking sheet and let cool for about 1 hour.
    12. Cover and set the pork in the icebox for at least 4 hours or overnight.
    13. Slice the bacon to your preferred thickness. Fry up or this makes a good meat addition when cooking beans.

Can be stored covered in the icebox for 4 to 5 days.
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

First run of bear jerky went well. I basically went off the marinade on foodwishes.com, with less spices, and a bunch of brown sugar. My second hand little chief isn't working well, it heats, but dosen't smoke, so I just took a blowtorch to the woodchips, 3 times, then finished in the BBQ at 160 for a couple hours. some pieces are very dry, but that's what I want for hiking anyways. A cinnamon bear showed up to sniff around.
    Since it turned out so well, I'm thinking of upgrading to a bigger/better smoker, maybe one where I can set the temp and time.

Also, BTW, little chief smokers are currently (May 11 '21) on sale for $100 at Princess auto.

i'm looking into a smoker this year. Done a bunch of bacon and now maybe 7 or 8 hams over the years. Used a large stainless gas grill with offset heat and add some smoke. it works but not ideal. would be nice to have the right tool for the job.

went primitive this year for easter - smoked a giant 20lb-er over natural mesquite charcoal. took about 9 hours to get up to temp, kept it around 180-200 for 4-5 hours to get a good smoke and crust. then upped the coals to around 300 to cook it through. fun and tasty day.

Quote Originally Posted by upperleftcoaster View Post
    i'm looking into a smoker this year. Done a bunch of bacon and now maybe 7 or 8 hams over the years. Used a large stainless gas grill with offset heat and add some smoke. it works but not ideal. would be nice to have the right tool for the job.

went primitive this year for easter - smoked a giant 20lb-er over natural mesquite charcoal. took about 9 hours to get up to temp, kept it around 180-200 for 4-5 hours to get a good smoke and crust. then upped the coals to around 300 to cook it through. fun and tasty day.

Good work! It looks like it turned out well.

Something I’ve done in the past is keep a fire going off to the side and keep pulling coals out with a rake and push them under your meat.