Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training to a higher level.

Re: Training to a higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    When I aquired "Yankee" he was a 4 year old fully trained field trials dog and had actually done pretty well in competitions.
    Where did you get the dog?

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I know you hunt mostly fields, Mike, but when you have your entire decoy spread set up in water as deep as your waist surrounding by thigh high marsh grass a good dog is worth his weight in gold. Without one it wouldn't surprise me at all if a guy lost half the birds he was able to drop,,,,,and forget about cripples.

Labguy,,,,do these field trials ever take place in the lower mainland? If they did, I'd definitely be into going to watch these dogs do their thing. Is the public welcome to attend or do you need to have a dog in the running?
    Now I do but I hunted deep water in Burns Bog for thirty years and burned out 2 labs and a golden retriever doing it. Every retrieve was a swim in something akin to soup so all my dogs had to learn some sort of signalling which they did.Yankee actually works well in deep water as he does look back something my others would only do after throwing dummies for a couple years. As to getting cripples in water they will always head to the bank, and usually hole up there. Take a walk around if you can far easier
    Last edited by Dutch; 03-12-2021 at 09:49 AM.

^^^^ sounds good. I would't go to the island for one but if there was one in the lower mainland and I was free I'd take it in.
    If you do attend and plan to sit in the gallery watching dogs, be sure to wear a darker shirt or jacket as to not distract the dog from it’s handler while it is working in the field.
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

When I aquired "Yankee" he was a 4 year old fully trained field trials dog
    Hey, Mike, have you received a letter from the politically correct police saying you need to change the name of your dog yet?? Americans may find it rather offensive. I heard a guy down in the States had to change his black lab's name from "Blackie" to something else just recently.

Just kidding! But it wouldn't surprise me at all to see it happen since Elmer Fudd cartoons and half of Dr. Suess's characters are no longer acceptable. lol

Bwahaha yes funny thing he is from Georgia ,somebody was having fun ,

Now I do but I hunted deep water in Burns Bog for thirty years and burned out 2 labs and a golden retriever doing it. Every retrieve was a swim in something akin to soup so all my dogs had to learn some sort of signalling which they did.Yankee actually works well in deep water as he does look back something my others would only do after throwing dummies for a couple years. As to getting cripples in water they will always head to the bank, and usually hole up there. Take a walk around if you can far easier
    And don't forget the times they had to break ice also.
    Pull the trigger all the way back.

Yes the great days of the past...

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    The dogs in this video are both young and not what would be considered a “finished” retriever. To the trained eye there are lots of errors being made here by both the handler and the dog. It will give an idea of what these animals are capable of with some time and effort.

The first dog is 2 1/2 and the second is 3 years. Both these dogs went on to have successful competitive careers.

The idea of “blind” retrieves is that the dog doesn’t know where the destination is. He is expected to take as direct a line as possible and not avoid “factors” such as thick cover and obey the instructions “casts” that the handler gives him. You’ll see how some do better at this than others depending on their level of training. Turn the volume up and you’ll hear some of the discussion around this.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=52t5kmwK6CU&feature=share
    How did i miss this! Little blast from that past. That digger dog was pretty good considering the handler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

^^^^ sounds good. I would't go to the island for one but if there was one in the lower mainland and I was free I'd take it in.
    Count me in on that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    How did i miss this! Little blast from that past. That digger dog was pretty good considering the handler!
    No poop. He was definitely handicapped by the dipshit standing beside him...
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"