Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stupid questions

Re: Stupid questions

What is stated in the regulations isn't the be all and end all. How they are interpreted goes to enforcement and if need be to the courts. Whether or not dispatching an already crippled bird is defined as 'hunting' would be the question. Generations of hunters wring necks. It is not some hidden dark practice.

If there was some surge in ambushing birds by hand then I suppose we would hear about it from the COs first who might try to make it a case. If you recall, the regulations against primitive methods of hunting only came up because of that fellow who got into social media for killing bear with a spear. When it was on the down low it flew beneath the radar and so was legal. It is interesting the "except by" is there specifically limiting it to those methods.

I also stand corrected about the methods not showing up in the federal regulations.
    Last edited by silveragent; 03-08-2021 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Hmmm Interesting indeed. I am not sure if this means "dispatching when cripped" has to be done with a weapon.

if he retrieves the bird while it is still alive, immediately kill and include it in his daily bag limit.

While I don't personally like the neck wringing as a method of dispatching, I would think one of those "dispatcher doohickeys" to the brain is quick and as well as it gets. I am not reading the regs as that not being allowed

The little marlin spike on my knock-off Swiss army kife kills 'em quick when jammed in at the base of the skull.

Same idea... someone gifted me a knock off version of this guy (I forgot what it was called in the post above): http://www.cutemdownwaterfowl.com/pr...-hunting-tool/

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Same idea... someone gifted me a knock off version of this guy (I forgot what it was called in the post above): http://www.cutemdownwaterfowl.com/pr...-hunting-tool/
    I've got a couple of the "Finishers",,,one is for ducks and the other is for geese and while they work, the death is not as instantaneous as I would have thought it should be. Plus sometimes you'll get quite a bit of blood on your hand during the process. It does save the head from falling off/ being torn from the neck so I still prefer to do it as oppose to wringing the bird's neck by swinging it in a circle.

I horrified a newbie this year when he couldn't seal the deal with one of his cripples and he handed it to me to finish. I swung it around hard and the head ripped off, spraying everyone. I used to be better at it.