Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid questions

Re: Stupid questions

BC game laws are kind of vague, in that if it isn't specifically listed in the wildlife act as being illegal, it is legal. That's why spear hunting, slingshots, air guns are now specifically listed as being an illegal method of take for big game. Until recently they were legal by default.

Using shot for waterfowl that isn't non toxic, is specifically listed as being illegal. If you wanted to hide under the water and grab geese by the feet as they swam over (and I would pay to see that...) it would be a legal way to take geese. You likely won't ever see it being illegal to dispatch a duck or goose with your hands simply because a lot of cripples get killed that way after being returned to hand. Should it become illegal to do so, then there would be a definite rise in the number of close calls when a dog returns a lively mallard to the boat and you have to shoot him because you can't ring his neck....... Although, it would probably make the excuse of "boating accident" way more believable when the Federales come to the door to take your shotgun if a bunch of boats have had holes shot in the bottom of them....

Water sluicing, legal. But as said, frowned upon by some.
    Last edited by KodiakHntr; 03-06-2021 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I won't shoot birds on the ground or water mostly because their wings act like plates of armour so unless the bird gets hit in the head you often have a cripple.
    My approach to shooting cripples that are fast putting distance between us is to aim low so that the shot hits them below the water line and stops them. I have made the mistake of trying to take them out by aiming at the body and am surprised how their wings shield them from mortal damage.

Not sure about by hand but I have seen a Spaniel who would flush ducks from a shallow field pond and actually catch one every now and again as they jumped. That is ok for sure. Ground sluceing is legal but imho and that orf most serious waterfowl hunters not the most ethical thing to do.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Check the migratory bird act

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Grouse, Pheasants and those dam Ducks all fly way to fast for my shotgun.....way easier when they're on they're aren't moving
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Grouse, Pheasants and those dam Ducks all fly way to fast for my shotgun.....way easier when they're on they're aren't moving
    Especially if you're shooting from a moving truck.

More sporting to shoot them in the air. That is the art of waterfowling. However, an argument can be said that you are also sporting by getting them to land due to your use of decoys, calling, your use of camouflage and positioning and your scouting to get in the right spot. That is all part of the coterie of skills you can employ.

As others say, it is incredible the amount of shots a downed bird can soak up. There is a thought that when you shoot a bird out of the air it is often the shock of landing that kills (or incapacitates them), not the shot itself.

Swatting them on ground and water is necessary if it is crippled but is still getting away and you lack a dog to get it for you. Letting a cripple get away means you are not doing all you can to retrieve downed game. If you don't have your shotgun on you, you can get a heart attack trying to run down a duck that won't ever be able to take off but nevertheless is scrambling far faster than you can across the mud flats while you are sinking in mud in your waders. Ask me how I know.

Swatting can be a safety concern if you are not aware of what is beyond your target. For those reasons I would not swat unless it is out to the open. Also water does weird things to projectiles and may even send rounds at 90 degree angles or even back at you.

Re the "hand wringing":

https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regul....html#h-477057

15 (1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) and section 23.1, no person shall hunt a migratory bird

• (a) except with a long bow and arrow or with a shotgun not larger than number 10 gauge;

Interesting, I stand corrected on hand wringing. Federal Law supersedes provincial laws, so there you go. Migratory Cripples have to be executed by shotgun or bow, not by hand. Wonder if they get stood in front of a wall and blind folded?

Hmmm Interesting indeed. I am not sure if this means "dispatching when cripped" has to be done with a weapon.

if he retrieves the bird while it is still alive, immediately kill and include it in his daily bag limit.

While I don't personally like the neck wringing as a method of dispatching, I would think one of those "dispatcher doohickeys" to the brain is quick and as well as it gets. I am not reading the regs as that not being allowed