Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid questions

Stupid questions

My buddy and I were having a conversation about waterfowling and the revolved around two things.

#1 Is it lawful to hunt waterfowl with your bare hands meaning if you got close enough to a duck or goose could you grab it and ring it's neck ( this is hypothetical obviously) but just wondering where one would find that kind of info I couldn't find anything in the regs. Again just hypothetical so no bashing.

#2 can you shoot at waterfowl that has landed and either on the ground or in the water? I though the answer was no but couldn't find anything in the regs I never have shot something that has landed unless it was injured just looking for clarification.

If you can answer these questions please post a link to where I can find the info please.

Thanks
    Dru88

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stupid questions

Not 100% about question 1, but pretty sure the answer would be no. Look at legal hunting methods on pg 16 of the regs.

Yes, you can shoot waterfowl that are not flying and have landed on land or water.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-06-2021 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks Ron.C where can I find the info about shooting waterfowl that has landed? Or is more that it just doesn't say anything about it so landed birds .

You may not find a specific reference and usually if it isn't mentioned as being "unlawful", you are good. For example, when you search the regs for swimming , you only get 1 hit on pg. 14 It's unlawful:

23. To hunt, take, wound or kill big game while it is swimming unless it has been previously wounded.

No mention of a swimming waterfowl.

And when you search for waterfowl, no reference or mention of landed, swimming, walking etc.

As waterfowl are federally regulated, each province needs to follow federal laws Migratory Birds Regulations (justice.gc.ca). Each province can add their own restrictions/rules (if they choose) but have to follow the federal guidelines.

If you just can't find a written reference anywhere and still don't want to make assumptions or believe what you read on internet forums, never a bad idea to emial/call the BC CO service or send an email to a fish and wildlife policy analyst.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-06-2021 at 08:37 AM.

Thanks again for the quick reply.Well I guess I learned something today. I had never really given it much though as it doesn't happen very often.

You can shoot them on the ground I think its just kind of frowned upon by waterfowlers

Never thought about catching them by hand. Would have to ask a CO.

As for shooting a duck/goose that has landed that is most often referred to as water swatting or ground pounding. It is legal, but severely frowned upon. Most hunters will try to get the bird to take off either by throwing something or yelling. I will let you decide if drawing a bead on a duck and and shooting it when it is 3 feet off the ground is any better..
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post
    You can shoot them on the ground I think its just kind of frowned upon by waterfowlers
    I won't shoot birds on the ground or water mostly because their wings act like plates of armour so unless the bird gets hit in the head you often have a cripple. Anytime I've tried it in the past, at least when they've been on the water, I end up having to take at least one more shot to kill the bird. My buddy will sluice birds, though, so to each their own.

I don't think I've ever made an attempt to hit one on the ground. Usually when you stand up to shoot they leave the ground before you get a shot off.

Over water I MUCH prefer to hit them just as they are trying to land; when they're almost stalled in the air. It's like hitting a sitting duck! Hmmmm,,,,,seem to be contradicting myself here! haha

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    Thanks again for the quick reply.Well I guess I learned something today. I had never really given it much though as it doesn't happen very often.
    we actually let singles/pairs come in and land in the decoys quite often if larger larger flocks are working the decoys. Or the bird is one that we are not targeting that day (which is always mergansers, sometimes teal/widgeon if its a banner day and allot of mallards or pins flying).

As stated by others, I refrain from sluicing birds that have landed, just more fun to target them in the air (even though I miss allot). And I hate peppering my decoys. But I don't frown upon those that choose to shoot birds that have landed, to each his own. Nothing illegal about it. I know one guy that gets bent about shooting ducks on the water but he'll pepper a grouse in a ditch with a 12 gauge????? Anyhow, Id rather see guys wait and shoot every one of their birds off the water then waste the day, go home with nothing and educate the birds by skybusting.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-06-2021 at 11:59 AM.

The problem witb ground shooting if you stalked them is unless your head shooting them with a turkey choke you are litterly spraying into a flock most times and one dead bird and how many wounded?