Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burbot and crayfish in Okanagan Lake

Burbot and crayfish in Okanagan Lake

Looking to take my 8 year old son out fishing on Okanagan lake, and I am curious if anyone has any knowledge of burbot and crayfish populations in Okanagan lake? Do you find many in OK lake? Got him a crayfish trap for Xmas set it up once already in the lake over the winter with no luck...never fished burbot before but want to try, if anyone has tips at all that is greatly appreciated...

cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Burbot and crayfish in Okanagan Lake

Don't recall ever catching a crayfish in Okanagan, but did catch a few in Gallagher Lake. Might find some in Yellow Lake as well. No burbot to my knowledge.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

We’ve caught burbot with crayfish in their stomachs in Ok lake but I’ve never seen a crayfish myself in Ok lake before.
    Maybe try the creekmouths?

Have seen them in the Kettle River before. Arlington Lakes has them.
    Don’t know of any lakes on the west side though.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Kalamalka has crayfish but no Burbot. Okanagan Lk has Burbot

^^^^great thanks for the info guys...yes the Arlington lakes chain has good crayfish pops....for burbot you typically go to rocky dropoffs and drop a line deep?

For burbot go to the log booms before bear creek park (if still there). Get a cod jig and put on a piece of bacon and drop it to the bottom and start jigging. 8 Years old might be a bit young to be hopping from boom to boom but I went there with my dad when I was pretty young. The ends of log booms always have shiners or squaw fish up to about 4" there. Get the smallest hook you can find and put on a maggot. The kid will easily be pre-occupied for hours trying to catch one of the little guys. This is what i did.

Oh and dont fall into the water and loose your $100 rod to the bottom of the lake or your kid will hear a lot of swearing as I did when dad fell in

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Spent many of days in the Kettle river in my youth flipping rocks after the crayfish>> some can grow !!!! you could put the tails in the store and called them lobster tails. Enjoy

Thanks for the replies guys cheers...

Google crayfish in okanagan lake....there is a picture of a abnormally large specimen a diver took.

Tie off to the bridge for burbot. Their there Grant island is another good spot.
    Bacon works. Turkey gizzards too Drop snell a hook and leave it 18 inches above the bottom. Crack a coffee and wait