Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using pigeons

Using pigeons

I’m trying to find information about the legalities on using training pigeons either caught or bought in the east Kootenay area and getting no where fast in finding that info.

I can get some birds from my breeder and I would love to do some work with my pup this spring. They will be shooter pigeons so I won’t be keeping them long.

Next step will be emailing the cos here and see if that gets me anywhere
    Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Using pigeons

Quote Originally Posted by HMR View Post
    I’m trying to find information about the legalities on using training pigeons either caught or bought in the east Kootenay area and getting no where fast in finding that info.

I can get some birds from my breeder and I would love to do some work with my pup this spring. They will be shooter pigeons so I won’t be keeping them long.

Next step will be emailing the cos here and see if that gets me anywhere
    Thanks.
    I believe it's all good if you do it in an area that is legal to shoot if that's all you're doing with them. They aren't a game bird so hunting regulations don't apply.
    You have your PAL?

See Schedule C:
    http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/lower-mainl...cies_lists.htm

Thank HF, that was very helpful. I do have my PAL

The only catch is that it is ilegal to shoot hand flighted birds, planted birds are ok, like hunt family said just be sure shooting is allowed if you plan to work your dog on shot birds.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    The only catch is that it is ilegal to shoot hand flighted birds, planted birds are ok, like hunt family said just be sure shooting is allowed if you plan to work your dog on shot birds.
    Thanks Foxton, just to verify hand flighted as in using a launcher?? I will not being using a launcher. Just basic stuff, mainly to turn her birdieness on and work the gun with the bird.

I've done it. My interpretation was that it is legal. I used launchers and shot the little f***ers. Well, except for the ones I missed!

Nope not launchers, they're ok. I'm actually talking about releasing the bird from your hand and shooting it while you steady the dog
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    I've done it. My interpretation was that it is legal. I used launchers and shot the little f***ers. Well, except for the ones I missed!
    You really said that?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Nope not launchers, they're ok. I'm actually talking about releasing the bird from your hand and shooting it while you steady the dog
    Do you have a link or similar to where it says that is illegal? I've never heard of that before...

Thanks all,

I got into contact with the CO and she’s pretty foreign to the Bylaw of it so she’s digging deep and finding the answers that I need. I will let you know what she says.