Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2021 Turkey Thread

Re: The Official 2021 Turkey Thread

So awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Trying to add photos from the phone is tough. Bird #3 went down at 6am. Have some great footage to edit up when I get time in a few days. Weather has been awesome and the birds are cooperating!

Twist and pull.

We are packing up on Sunday and heading for my hometown at the asscrack of dawn Monday. Going to spend a few days relaxing, and if a bird comes along, going to have to bring him home with me!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Congrats to all those with opening week success. Just got back from 3days of hunting and didn’t strike up one Tom or hear any gobbling. This morning did manage to call in what may have been a hen to about 80yards but the complete opposite direction of the decoys and on our exposed side. Still on the learning curve with turkeys but I’m questioning if perhaps it was a Tom due to the almost black coloration and white tail feather tips but the response to the cutting with a slate call puzzles me. Do Tom’s also cluck back or is it pretty much a gimme that they will gobble in response? Thanks for any insight you can share.

A little motivation for those that have yet to get out there. Opening day was amazing. We had a couple great call ins with 2 of us harvesting birds by late morning. We decided to head in at lunch and refuel. With it being so hot and having the luxury of multiple more days, we passed on the afternoon/evening session. The next morning, knowing where the birds had been hanging out, we located several gobblers on the roost before first light. Decoys were set up was based on what the toms likely route would be so they could see them when they rounded the corner. Bit of sweet talking and we pulled these 2 in right off the roost before the rest of the flock flew down. By 6am bird #3 was down and a gorgeous Tom it was.

Hope you enjoy the footage.

"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by TradMan View Post
    Congrats to all those with opening week success. Just got back from 3days of hunting and didn’t strike up one Tom or hear any gobbling. This morning did manage to call in what may have been a hen to about 80yards but the complete opposite direction of the decoys and on our exposed side. Still on the learning curve with turkeys but I’m questioning if perhaps it was a Tom due to the almost black coloration and white tail feather tips but the response to the cutting with a slate call puzzles me. Do Tom’s also cluck back or is it pretty much a gimme that they will gobble in response? Thanks for any insight you can share.
    Toms are much darker than hens so it's very likely that's what you saw. And yes, they do cluck and purr just like hens. In the video I posted, one of the Toms is purring a fair bit. Hard to hear on the footage but it was quite clear and I've heard it multiple times.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Thanks for the info, although not sure I wanted that confirmation on that fail lol. These birds are driving me nuts! Lol

A little motivation for those that have yet to get out there. Opening day was amazing. We had a couple great call ins with 2 of us harvesting birds by late morning. We decided to head in at lunch and refuel. With it being so hot and having the luxury of multiple more days, we passed on the afternoon/evening session. The next morning, knowing where the birds had been hanging out, we located several gobblers on the roost before first light. Decoys were set up was based on what the toms likely route would be so they could see them when they rounded the corner. Bit of sweet talking and we pulled these 2 in right off the roost before the rest of the flock flew down. By 6am bird #3 was down and a gorgeous Tom it was.

Super Cool HighCountry! Thanks for sharing - that is some amazing footage.
    forever noob

Hopefully some of you can get them in this close. Fast forward to 2:15 of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdy6SThKt-k

Quote Originally Posted by MB_Boy View Post
    Hopefully some of you can get them in this close. Fast forward to 2:15 of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdy6SThKt-k
    Oh that is the best video I have seen in years !!!
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

Outstanding guys, I'm happy for you.
    Looks like you were on the right side of the valley.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc