Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2021 Turkey Thread

Hybrid View

The Official 2021 Turkey Thread

Just over a month away from some of the funnest hunting of the year. What's everyone's plans? I'll be hunting my usual Region 4 area but also plan on getting back to one of my old haunts in 8. The warmer temps has the snow melting fast and should have me out scouting in a few short weeks.

Let's see some past successes and if anyone has some pictures of their decoy set up, share it here so we can help out some new turkey hunters.

2020 double up
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The Official 2021 Turkey Thread

"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Does anyone put out feed for early season camera action?
    Would feed plus a decoy work to build some localized activity?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Does anyone put out feed for early season camera action?
    Would feed plus a decoy work to build some localized activity?
    Lots of locals in the Kootenays feed them on private property. Tricky part about doing it on crown land is that turkeys like open/semi-open areas so there's a good chance other hunters will be on those birds as well. As of 2020 it is now unlawful to feed ungulates or turkeys in R4 except under permit.

I have been taking my son along for ~10 years, basically since I started. Usually my buddy and his son are with us in camp. It’s not easy hunting turkeys with young kids but the memories more than make up for the extra birds we “could’ve” gotten. Here’s a few from through the years.

Twist and pull.

Nice double Highcountry. Funny I was just re watching my video footage from last year - fly downs, fly ups, mating, fighting, gobbling...also got footage of 6 big toms marching into our opening day setup...before they promptly walked out of our lives at 60 metres without a shot opportunity lol.
    Twist and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    Nice double Highcountry. Funny I was just re watching my video footage from last year - fly downs, fly ups, mating, fighting, gobbling...also got footage of 6 big toms marching into our opening day setup...before they promptly walked out of our lives at 60 metres without a shot opportunity lol.
    Awesome stuff, Krico! Get some of that footage up here and stoke the fire. I'm always excited for turkey season but this year even more so than normal. Couple weeks from now I'll be doing an overnighter in 4/8 to line up some birds for opening day.

6 big toms marching into our opening day setup...before they promptly walked out of our lives at 60 metres without a shot opportunity lol.
    If we go out more than one person at a time, there is usually a scoped rimfire along (where/when legal). It helps not going home empty handed.

Last edited by Redthies; 03-06-2021 at 10:34 AM.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

[/

is your dog worried about being recognized on the internet by his non hunting friends? And are you worried someone might recognize the gobbler?

Haha WTF.
    Twist and pull.

[/

is your dog worried about being recognized on the internet by his non hunting friends? And are you worried someone might recognize the gobbler?

Haha WTF.
    I was poking fun at all the people who black out faces, license plates etc. Unless you’re doing something illegal, I don’t see any need to do that.

Although the dog did feel a bit embarrassed about being caught sniffing at the popes nose...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.