Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wet Synthetic Sleeping Bag

Re: Wet Synthetic Sleeping Bag

What are you using for a tent? I have found bomber 4 season double walled tents tent to have a lot more condensation, and if you don't orient them properly to the wind they wont vent out like a lighter hiking tent (think Copper Spur, or Hubba Hubba). or if you are pitching in a valley bottom that holds a ton of moisture at night/morning, that will also cling to your tent and soak you. Maybe not the case if you are sharing a tent with your buddy and hes fine.

Quote Originally Posted by NMO View Post
    What he said ^ I've used a -18 C bag in August and got sweaty with it zipped tight, woke up with a very damp bag. But i've never woke up drenched. Wearing rain gear is going to aid in heat retention, which will probably get you all lathered up in there.
    yes I too have used a bag rated for well below freezing in warm weather and same thing

My wife and I both have Laminas. Mine has seen much more use and lost its insulation value/breathability over time. Hers is still in great shape - keeps her warm, not sweaty. I upgraded to the SG bag last year - so far so good. I think sleeping bags are one of those pieces of gear that just doesn’t last forever without degrading over time.

Are you possibly breathing inside your sleeping bag to keep warmer. Lots of condensation if you do.

Put a flannel sheet inside problem solved.

I'd have to guess that your bag definitely isn't breathing properly, and like noted above, the rain gear inside the bag would have more negative then positive affects I'd think.

I spent the last 8 days on the North Coast, in super wet conditions, I made the mistake of not properly re treating my boots before heading up but luckily packed 2 pairs of socks. Every day I switched socks as they were getting wet, as well as the synthetic booties I had. I boiled water, put it in a soft platypus, put it in my sock, which then went into my synthetic booty which then went into the bottom of my synthetic bag(kind of like a turducken idea). By the end of the day, the socks, booties, and bottom of bag was dry and water was still a bit warm.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Synthetic bags definitely do degrade over time, a good quality down bags will outlast synthetic many times over with good care.

I'd turf that bag and get a new one.They break down over time.
    Over the years I have tried lots of different sleeping bags and prefer the synthetic over down.The problem with down is when it gets wet it takes a long time to dry.

I have done a lot of camping, and switched to down bags a really long time ago. A good down bag is far better than a synthetic in almost every imaginable situation. Hydrophobic down adds a tiny amount of weight, but it's very good.

To me, it sound more like your tent was in a bad spot, or it was not venting properly. Camping near bodies of water, on low lying ground such is a small depression, areas that don't have some wind or air movement, closing up your tent too tightly, don't bring wet stuff inside your tent, and so on. Tents love lots of ventilation, single wall tents can very wet too when compared to double wall tents. If it's cold out, there won't be bugs - open up the vents and doors as much as you can tolerate to get air through it. Angle your tent for air flow.

NH3
    NFA, CCFR, BCWF

Your bag is probably packed out, and not breathing properly anymore. Were you storing it in its stuff sack?
    Rule # 1 No talking about undies. yours or anyone elses.